Dragon Training

I instantly shot upright into a sitting position as my stepfather crashed through my bedroom doorway. "Sorry, I tripped... Anyway I shall walk you to the arena in half an hour so be ready!" My stepfather said as he left the room. I groaned and sank back down into my cozy bed. I felt sick in my gut as I remembered I would never see Autumn again. I decided I would just quickly get through the dragon trials so I could continue searching for my sister. I didn't want to move, but I knew I had to get ready. I got changed and went downstairs where I was greeted by my mother. "Good morning Destiny." "Morning." I sat down at the table and began eating the food that was laid out for me. After eating I cleared up my mess. "Ready to go lass?" My stepfather asked. "Not in the least, but I don't think I have a choice" I groaned. "You're right about that" my stepfather said as he patted my back and gently pushed me out of the door.

I joined the four boys and two girls that were already waiting outside the arena. There were Dana and April, then Aaron, Noah, Liam and Zac. " You're late!" Aaron snapped. I glared at him and he glared back. "Welcome to dragon training!" The chief called out as he lifted the metal gate and we all entered the rusty, grey arena. "I'm stuck here now..." I groaned to myself. Once you started dragon training, you had to finish. The arena had high walls that had doors built into them and behind those doors were the dragons. A big metal net hung over the top of the arena, closing it off. "I hope I at least get another scar for my collection from this!" Aaron smirked. "Definitely not weird that you enjoy the pain" said the Dana sarcastically. "I don't want any pain" whimpered the youngest girl, April, who was very shy and timid. "No pain, no game" Aaron grinned in response. "Let's get this started then! The Viking who does best will win the honour of killing a dragon in front of the whole village!" The chief said as he put his arm around his son. "Obviously that's me!" Aaron grinned as he looked up at his father.

The chief walked around the border of the arena as he talked. "In the cells behind these doors are just a few of the many dragon species you will learn fight!" "I can't wait!" Aaron called out with a grin. I rolled my eyes. So did the chief who then continued walking and pointed to doors of dragons he listed. "The Deadly Nadder, the Hideous Zippleback, the Terrible Terror, the Monstrous Nightmare and the Gronckle!" The chief said as he pushed down the handle and the cage doors opened. The Gronckle burst out of the door snarling and started flying after the people. "Grab a shield and remember that today we are learning about survival. If you get blasted or bashed by the dragon then you're out!" The chief yelled. Everyone spread out and ran towards the table were shields were laid out for us. I reached the table and grabbed a black shield which I then held over the main part of my body. "Your most important item is your shield, always choose the shield over any other weapon" the chief said. By now everyone had their shields and were circling around the arena. I heard a blast. "Liam is out!" The chief called.

"What can you do to throw off a dragon's aim?" The chief asked. "Noise!" Aaron shouted. "Very good! Make lots of it!" The chief said with a grin. Everyone started hitting their shields on the ground. The Gronckle shook her head about. I started feeling very dizzy and everything went blurry. I realised that the noise was effecting my dragon side. I wobbled about and hoped that no one else noticed. But from the corner of my eye I could see Aaron watching me and grinning. I tripped over a loose stone and fell backwards. I shook my head, got up and focused on staying focused. "Noah is out!" The chief shouted as the Gronckle hit its tail against his shield. "Okay, all dragons have a limited number of shots, how many does a Gronckle have?" The chief asked. "Three?" Aaron asked. "No, six!" I yelled. "Yes six, that's more than enough to knock you lot out!" The chief called. Another two shields were hit. "Zac and Lily are out!" The chief yelled. The Gronckle flew around the arena and approached April from behind. "April! Look out!" I called. April turned around and the Gronckle blashed its jaw into her shield. "April is out!" The chief called.

I glared at Aaron. "Just us, huh?" I muttered. "I'll win!" Aaron growled at me. "We'll see" I told him. Aaron grabbed my shield and threw it to the other side of the arena. I hissed at him and ran after the shield. The Gronckle turned and flew towards me with a prepared blast in her mouth. I was backed up against the wall and had nowhere to go. The Gronckle and I were face to face and in a moment of desperation I felt my eyes switch to the bright green eyes of the Night Fury. The Gronckle closed her mouth and flew backwards then turned around and blasted Aaron's shield. "That's six shots gone!" The chief called out and Aaron screamed in frustration. The chief got the Gronckle back into her cage and shut the doors. "You'll all get another chance don't you worry" the chief said and everyone cheered. "That's strange though. A dragon will always" the chief said as he turned and faced the Gronckle's pen. "You should have too" he muttered to the dragon behind the doors.