Banished

I let out a scream of anger, sorrow and frustration. April fell to the ground with the dagger in her throat. I heard Aaron gulp as he looked down at what he had just done. I realised April was dead. I was shaking with shock. This was my fault. Yet again someone had died because of me. I was now caught up in deep thoughts of pain and fear.

Suddenly I fell to the ground. I looked up and saw Aaron holding me down. I snapped out of my thoughts, growled and shook him off, but the arena was full of angry Vikings. I tried to fight my way out, but they overpowered me. The chief grabbed my snout and pushed it to the ground then more Vikings helped secure me. The chief put a muzzle over my snout which kept it shut. My back and shoulders were tired up in ropes. I groaned, but I was helpless once more and there was nothing I could do. The chief stood up in the middle of the arena and tried to calm everyone down. A couple of people dragged April's body to the side of the arena and covered it with a grey blanket. Once everything was in some sort of order again and the people were all seated, the chief stood up and spoke. "Well, what an afternoon this has been! It is with a great sadness that April departs our village, may she live on peacefully in Valhalla. I can assure you that Aaron has no intention of killing the girl and therefore shall not be punished. But here, in front of me, we have the first ever Night Fury to be caught on Mistdell and probably in a lot of other places too! And after some thinking I have made a decision of what is to be down with this unholy dragon... since my boy didn't get a chance to kill the Monstrous Nightmare, he and I shall kill this beast!" The chief called out and the crowd cheered in agreement. My eyes widened in terror as the chief and Aaron both held their axes above my head. Then the whole crowd started counting. "Three... two... one..." The chief and Aaron lifted their axes and got ready to swing them. In a moment of desperation I shifted back into my human self and scrambled out of the ropes and muzzle. I quickly jumped back and the two axes hit the ground where I had been standing just seconds before. I heard the crowd gasp and I realised what I had just done.

"D-did she just...?" Aaron stuttered. "She's a demon!" Someone shouted from the crowd. "She's one of them!" Someone else shouted. "What is going on here? You better have an explanation for this absurd occurrence!" The chief told me. I glanced around the crowd, there was no point in lying and how could I possibly cover this up. "Well, umm....." I struggled to find words. "Speak girl!" The chief yelled. "Somehow I am able to shift from a human into any dragon" I told everyone. The crowd gasped. "This is witchcraft!" An elder screamed. "Agreed! Destiny, this can not be tolerated in this village. You must leave Mistdell!" The chief snapped. "Leave? But I have nowhere to go! I won't change into a dragon anymore. Please, just let me stay" I pleaded. "I cannot let someone stay on the island who can change into dragons, including the unholy offspring of lightning and death itself!" The chief said as he referred to the Night Fury. I growled at him and immediately regretted it. "This is not up for discussion!" The chief roared. "Give her a chance!" My stepfather shouted from the crowd. "Please, please spare my daughter and let her stay" my mother said in a weak voice. "She can turn into dragons" the chief repeated. "She won't do it again, I'll make sure of it!" Stepfather said. "She is the reason April is dead!" Aaron yelled. "I did not kill her, you did!" I screamed at Aaron. "You pushed the sword into her!" Aaron yelled at me. "I didn't even touch that sword, you moved it!" I screamed at him. "You pushed it into her, everyone saw it!" Aaron said and the people cheered in agreement. The chief nodded with a smirk. I looked up and saw stepfather sit down, he wasn't going to protest for me anymore. "No please! I've already lost Autumn, I can't lose Destiny too!" Mother begged. "Isn't Destiny also the reason that Autumn is dead?" The chief questioned. Mother stayed silent, but looked very uncomfortable. "Then it's settled. She must go!" The chief shouted and the villagers cheered. "No, please...." mother said as her voice softened. "Let her go woman!" The chief yelled. Stepfather took mothers hand and gently sat her down. "No!" I yelled. "Destiny, I hereby banish you from Mistdell!" The chief yelled. "No, please..." I whimpered. "You have until nightfall to remove yourself from my island, otherwise I will!" The chief told me.

I wiped a tear from my eye and slid my backpack onto my shoulder. I took one last look around my room and let out a long sigh. I looked down at the green and silver bracelet on my wrist, given to me by my birth father. I took it off and put it on my belt for safekeeping. I slowly went downstairs were my mother and stepfather were waiting at the table. "You ready?" My stepfather asked. I nodded. "Here is some food to keep you going" mother said as she handed me a cloth of bread, fish and fruit. I put the cloth in my bag and hugged both my parents. "Be safe Destiny" both my mother and stepfather said in union. "I will" I told them as I nodded. I walked over to the front door and opened it. Mother ran over to me and hugged me once more. I finally pulled away as tears ran down my face. "Goodbye mother, goodbye stepfather" I waved at them then walked out of the house and shut the door. I let out a deep sigh and turned to see the chief. The chief walked me down to the dock at the very bottom of our tall island. "Take a boat and be gone" the chief told me with a blank face. "No thanks, I'll fly" I replied. "I don't care how you do it, just get off my island!" The chief yelled at me. "One day you'll regret this" I told him with a glare. I changed into a Night Fury and jumped into the air. "We shall see..." the chief said. I growled at him then turned around and flew out across the sea.