Part Of The Pack

I shook hands with Kai then let go and backed away. His hand was cold which made him feel more untrustworthy. I smiled at him and he smiled back, not a meaningful smile though. I shifted into a Singetail with lime green scales. I spread my four wings and lifted off into the cool morning air. I circled over the island and, just like Kai had said, the rocky island was indeed covered with traps and hunters which meant it would be very difficult to escape. Of course I could escape if I wanted to, but this deal with Kai might help me find out how to stop these hunters. I saw a large bush rustle and spotted an orange tail disappear behind the dark green leaves. I slowly descended towards the ground. I landed quietly and crawled towards the bush. I heard a loud hiss and a large red Singetail jumped out at me and pinned me to the ground. I looked up at the Singetail and our eyes locked. Immediately I was filled with anger. I growled and pushed him off of me. I spread my wings and arched my back as I growled again. The Singetail screeched at me and blew a little scarlet flame. I growled back and blasted a fireball at his feet. The red Singetail stopped, looked me up and down, then completely relaxed. I growled once more, still on high alert.

"Who are you?" The Singetail asked. "I'm JadeScale. Who are you?" I almost hissed and quickly made up a name for myself. "Well JadeScale, I'm impressed. No Singetail in my pack has ever attempted a mild threat at me... and then there's you. You display confidence, anger and power which are exactly what I need in this pack. So I am prepared to offer you a place in my pack of Singetails" The Singetail said. "What's your name" I hissed. "Alpha FireFang" he replied. I glanced around at the spectating dragons, the only thing I wanted to do was rip this Singetail apart, although I still didn't understand my anger to this particular dragon. "Well?" FireFang asked. I didn't want to be anywhere near him, but I needed to find Fireball and get more information of the hunters. "Yes... I will join you" I replied with little enthusiasm. "Perfect! Everybody please welcome JadeScale into our pack! JadeScale is going to be the new second in command!" FireFang called out and all the Singetails cheered. Then FireFang turned to me and started explaining. "You are my second in command because you're the most powerful dragons in the pack, other then me of course." "So what? Do I need to do anything special?" I questioned. "If you follow my instructions you should be fine" FireFang told me. "Understood" I replied. "Just one last thing. I am the leader of this pack and you listen to me! Okay?" FireFang growled at me. "Yeah sure" I said. "That means you address me as sir" FireFang growled. "Whatever sir" I replied sarcastically.

I followed FireFang and the rest of the pack followed us. I looked up and saw a large cliff in front of us. We continued gliding and I spotted a cave between the rocks. "This is our base, make yourself at home" FireFang said as he hovered back and waited for me to go inside. I gave a nod of thanks as I flew past him and landed inside the cave. It was large, but not very interesting, just lots of rocks and dips in the ground. The most interesting thing was a small stream of pale blue water that ran through the very back of the cave. "Opinions?" FireFang asked as he entered the cave with the other Singetails behind him. "It's not very fancy, but I guess it will do" I said with a bit of a smirk. FireFang half grinned, half frowned and walked off in the other direction. I took the opportunity to introduce myself to the rest of the pack since I was going to have to work with them.

When evening came I snuck away from the cave and found the woods where I had first met Kai. I saw the tall boy leaning against the trunk of a dying tree. I landed on the ground in front of him. Kai jumped back and looked rather shocked. I quickly shifted into my human self and Kai seemed to relax a bit. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you" I told him with a smirk. "I was not scared!" Kai objected. "Your face said otherwise" I informed him with a grin. Kai let out a grumpy sigh then asked "how did it go?" "It went well, the pack leader, FireFang, accepted me and made me his second in command" I told Kai. "That's good, you're in. Now you just need to find Fireball" Kai said. "Don't worry, I'll find him" I said. "You better or I'll tell my father your little secret" Kai warned me. I raised an eyebrow then slowly nodded. I didn't know whether I could trust him yet. He didn't show much expression in his face, voice or speech. I decided I would just have to question him. "Where do you stay? If you hate your father so much then surely you don't hang around him" I asked. "That's non of your business! You just stick to what you know and find me my dragon" Kai snapped at me. "I'm only getting him so you help me escape" I reminded him. "Yeah sure, whatever" Kai half laughed as he turned his back slightly. I let out a sigh, it was pointless to argue with Kai. I knew I shouldn't trust him, but he was my only source of information. "Look, let's just stop arguing and actually try to help each other..." I suggested. Kai turned around. "Alright dragon girl, sure." "Good. I'm going to go back to the pack and try to find Fireball" I said. "Good good. He's an orange Singetail with red spots" Kai told me. I nodded and shifted into a Singetail. Kai backed away. I let out a low grumble then flew away.