Part 16

When we returned to the Med Centre, Bruno was waiting for us in Loki's room. He pointed out our overnight kits which were placed on top of a trunk that we each had been given at the foot of our beds, for the obvious purpose of storing any necessary items.

I was actually relieved to see Bruno because after all the fun we had in the cafeteria, I had forgotten that Loki would need assistance getting back into bed. I was impressed as I watched Bruno carefully do this without causing even one yelp of discomfort from my friend.

"Thank you, Bruno," Loki said tiredly, giving him a small smile.

Bruno nodded at him.

"Yes, thank you, Bruno," I also said, briefly grasping his arm and giving him a look of gratitude.

He patted my hand, then departed.

I found that Tom was correct about those overnight kits. It contained the basics, everything one would need for an overnight stay; toothbrush, toothpaste, a comb, travel size hypo-allergenic deodorant, a small washcloth and a bar of soap. Bruno had also laid out some standard-issue slippers and a medical gown for me in which to sleep. I held it up and felt the fabric. It wasn't exactly the worst bedclothes I'd seen, but I wasn't too keen on changing and contemplated just sleeping in the clothes I was wearing.

"Won't you be uncomfortable sleeping in all those clothes?" Loki asked.

"I've done it before," I replied, "and if it's only for the night. I should be fine," I took off my jacket then removed my shoes and socks, placing them carefully in the trunk. I slipped on the slippers. Then to Loki's surprise, he watched as I proceeded to remove my bra without taking off my shirt.

I only realized what I had done after the fact... It never dawned on me to pull the privacy curtain around my space or even to ask Loki to look away. To be honest, I was simply that comfortable around him.

"What kind of magic was that?" Loki asked, a curious smile on his face.

"Oh, just a little trick I learned from a movie," I smiled, tossing the bra in the trunk.

"I would like to see that movie," Loki said, a mischievous look on his face.

"I'm sure you would," I couldn't help but laugh, with Loki laughing as well.

Walking over to his bed, instinctively I adjusted his covers then took his hand, "I really had a good time tonight," I said, looking into his eyes. "It wouldn't have been half as fun if you hadn't been there."

Loki lifted our hands to gently kiss mine, "Well, thank you for inviting me. It certainly was a keen pleasure to share a meal with you and the others."

For a minute or two, we just looked at each other in silence.

"Can I... get you anything, before I turn in?" I asked.

"Thank you, but I'm fine," Loki replied drowsily.

"Yes, yes you are," I smiled, gave his hand a final squeeze, then released it.

Walking over to my designated area, I pulled the privacy curtain around my space, then climbed into bed. Kicking off my slippers, I laid down, getting under the covers.

"Goodnight, Loki," I said.

"Goodnight, Beverlee," Loki said.

*******************

I couldn't sleep. Although I knew I was tired, and the hour was late, for some reason, I couldn't relax. I remember reading somewhere that if one could lay still for five minutes, sleep would eventually come. Well, that didn't work. Neither did thinking about boring things. I had to face the facts... I was overtired. Most likely caused by a combination of my mind-numbing employment and the excitement of all that was happening with this case. I contemplated getting my jacket out of the trunk as my smartphone and earbuds were in one of the pockets - I could listen to some music or an audiobook. Well, it was the only idea that seemed appealing at the moment.