Part 5

Approaching the front desk, I learned Thor and I were expected as we entered the SHIELD Facility. Once we told the receptionist who we were, there was no waiting. Another employee, who seemed to come out of nowhere, led us down a long hallway and into a briefing room. The employee told us to sit, and be comfortable. They then informed us the wait for the AIC - Agent In Charge - would not be long.

"Who is this Agent In Charge?" I asked the employee.

"Agent Phil Coulson."

The employee closed the door behind them, leaving Thor and me alone.

"Thor, this Agent Coulson you've been dealing with..." I clasped my hands on the table, "I hope he can be trusted." I really meant I hoped 'I' could trust him.

"Indeed he can. We first met in New Mexico when I first, erm... lost my hammer, Mjolnir. Then again when the Avengers first assembled. Coulson was part of the team on the helicarrier when we were trying to figure out what Loki's nefarious plot was for Midgard." Thor looked at me carefully as he said his next words, "Beverlee, there's something you should know about Coulson before you meet him."

I looked up at Thor expectantly.

"It was during the days leading up to the Battle of New York. While on the helicarrier, a situation ensued where I was tricked by Loki, and I was trapped in a glass-like enclosure , an enclosure that had been holding him previous. I could only watch helplessly as Loki mortally - well now, allegedly mortally - wounded Coulson. We had all been told he had died."

I was speechless, and instead of butterflies, this time I felt downright nauseous.

There was a decanter of water with glasses on the briefing room table. With shaky hands, I poured myself a glass and downed it.

I remembered how Loki told me about a man who collared him whom he thought he had mortally wounded but was very much alive during his previous incarceration.

The Battle of New York was one thing, but outright murder was another. My mind was spinning out of control. Then suddenly a word formed in my head. Motive.

"Wh-Why," I found it hard to speak, "would Loki kill Coulson?" I asked. There had to be a reason...

"Maybe it's because I was pointing a very large gun at him."

It wasn't Thor's voice that answered. My head turned in the direction of who this one came from...

"Hi there, I'm Agent Phil Coulson," said the man who now entered the room, holding a thick file folder. He looked at me as he closed the door behind him, "you must be Beverlee, Loki's friend."

What had I gotten myself into?