Chapter Six

*A Few Days Later*

Ed's POV

The last few nights I've slept on the sofa. If it makes Taylor happy, I guess it's alright, but I haven't gotten hardly any sleep. I feel so alone. I know she's upstairs, but she doesn't even hardly know me. Ever since her breakdown in the rain, she hasn't really remembered anything huge. She's remembered the song 'We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together' and its music video, '22' and its music video, 'Red' and its music video, 'I Knew You Were Trouble' and its music video, and 'Begin Again' and its music video. Nothing to do with me. She says she remembers the days she filmed all those videos, and the songs and exactly how they sound. She remembers all her singles' music videos, except for 'Everything Has Changed'. It's like she's got a mental block on me. It kills me on the inside. I try to imagine that once she remembers me, we can get married, and everything will be ok. If she remembers.

Tonight, just like any other night, I had the re-occurring dream of Taylor kissing me, then becoming disgusted, then running away from me. It happened over and over, and every time, I'd wake up, crying, realize it was a dream, and then it would be a long time before I could get back to sleep. But, in the middle of one of my dreams, I heard Taylor crying. Not like the dream Taylor, who was still yelling at me to get away, but a different Taylor. I awoke with a start, and found that she really was crying. I ran upstairs, and found her sitting up in bed, head in her hands, crying.

"Taylor, are you ok? You're alright, I'm here. I love you." I reminded her. She nodded.

She calmed down a little, and then said "I... I remember you." She said, and she started crying again. She leaned into me and hugged me really tight, and I smiled, rubbing her back, as a few tears rolled down my cheeks. "Not a lot but...I know you now." She said, still holding onto me tight as if though she might fall.

After she calmed down a but more again, I asked her something. "What do you remember, love?" I was excited. Maybe now we won't be such strangers.

"You...ringing my doorbell...I was so excited to finally meet you...I ran over and opened the door...you smiled and walked in...we talked a little...then we went out to my trampoline...and we jumped...and I had so much fun...and then we wrote 'Everything Has Changed'...and we hung out a little bit more...just like you said! I remember it too! I remember!" She said, elated.

I sat up a little bit more, and I pulled her into my lap. She wrapped her arms around me, still leaning in to me, still crying. I held her close to me, my arms around her tightly. "Taylor...that's great! Oh my gosh...Taylor....this is the best." I told her, also elated that she had remembered me.

"Ed?" She asked.

"Yes, love?"

"Back then...I remember how I felt...and...and...I felt something...it was like...something made sense...bouncing on the trampoline...just something simple...you being there...it made it...alright...I could tell that before you had come over...I wasn't doing so good...I was depressed....and then you came...you made it better...I think I'm starting to love you again." She said, and kissed me on the cheek.

I squeezed her tight, kissing the top of her head. "Taylor, that's the best thing you could've ever possibly told me right now. I love you so so so much, darling. So much." I said, content with the thought that she remembered me, even if it was only one day out of hundreds, that was one more than before.

"Ed?" She asked again.

"Yes?"

"When you asked me to marry you, was I really excited to say yes? Was I crying, did I kiss you, jump in your arms? I wanna know that...that I can believe in something real." She asked, seeming afraid.

"You were over the moon, to say the least. The tears were pouring down your face, and you kissed me with such passion, it was..crazy. Wonderful. Perfect. Those five seconds of bliss were the happiest I have ever seen you. The look on your face...it was pure just joy. Love. Like everything doesn't really matter, it doesn't really have to matter, because you do. That was the moment I knew that I would love you no matter what. You were so happy, and I was too. I love you so much, Taylor." I explained, giving her a tight squeeze.

"So...when I remember it...I'll be really happy? It won't all be over? There won't be some impending doom lurking just beyond the horizon?" She asked.

"If you felt the same way I did, then no. You'll be ok, Taylor. I'll be here, and I'll make sure that no one ever breaks your heart. You're safe with me." I promised.

"Good." She said, and she soon fell asleep, her head on my shoulder, arms wrapped loosely around my neck. I turned around a little bit, and laid my head down on my pillow, where it belongs, Taylor still wrapped around me. I finally got some good sleep.