𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟔

There were myths that children of Apollo could control light-- only they weren't myths.

Will had learned to control his power and use it for healing, but used it rarely, since it drained his strength.

This time, however, he used his power for combat. Calling upon the light in his veins, he unleashed it in a blinding flash. The guards screamed as they disintegrated. Even Admirel Blyden didn't survive the blast.

King Abbadon, however, was only severely weakened. Cursing, he stood up, staggering in the ruins of his throne. "Will Solace, you foolish boy."

The pillars holding up the ceiling groaned. Dust and kernels of debris rained down. Will, now free of his bonds, wasted no time. He turned and sprinted for the exit, the cracked marble floor crunching like gravel under his feet. Will's blast of light had made the structure unstable, but was it damaged enough to cave in?

The Lord of Demons stumbled out of the throne ruins. "You will regret this!" he roared after the son of Apollo. "One day, I will make you pay!"

Will gave him no heed. He did not stop running, even when he cleared the doorway. He hurtled down a hall and tripped over his own feet. He fell with a curse.

Footsteps. Will lifted his head. At the other end of the hall stood a group of guards. They aimed their weapons at him, charging forward.

Will rushed to the guards, adrenaline pumping through him. He somersaulted over the guards' heads like an acrobat. Leaping to his feet, he whipped around and blasted the guards with the last of his power.

The guards didn't have time to turn around before they dissolved to ash.

Will stared at their ashes for a moment, then doubled over, vomiting onto the floor.

He had used his power to murder. He, a healer, had used his power to kill--

Will braced an arm against the wall. "Get it together," he whispered to himself. "You were defending yourself." He took a shuddering breath and straightened, standing on his own two feet. He ran down the hall.

Will reviewed what he knew of the palace's layout. This was the hallway he was escorted down, there was the hallway that would lead to the dungeons...

His strength washed away. Lack of food and water made him weak and dizzy. His injuries throbbed. He found himself swaying on his feet.

Rest. He needed rest.

Will managed to crawl under a nearby table before passing out.