𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑𝟎

Blyden advanced. It took Will a moment to realize he was still holding the fire extinguisher. A wild, desperate, and perhaps insane idea popped into his head.

Not breaking eye contact with Blyden, he adjusted his grip until he was holding it by the neck with both hands.

And when General Blyden came close enough, Will brought it up into his face, swinging it like a baseball bat.

Blyden howled, stumbling away, cursing and clutching his nose. With a snarl, he lunged for Will, only to be shoved back by a blast of light.

Blyden roared, an inhuman sound that sent fear coursing through Will. His nose was broken, and blood-- black blood-- spattered his armor, stark against the dull gray metal. Blyden flicked his hand, and the fire extinguisher flew from Will's grasp, skittering down the hall to his right. "Perhaps I'll make your death not so quick."

He lunged, but Will was ready. He dodged Blyden's attack, spun around, and swept the feet out from under the demon with a swift kick. Blyden tripped and fell, but was back on his feet in an instant. He whirled on Will, snarling.

An invisible force crashed into Will, sending him sprawling. His legs got tangled in the chain, and he slammed into the tiled floor. Stars danced in his vision as the air was knocked out of him.

Will was faintly aware of Blyden's dark power wrapping around him, invading every part of him, snuffing out the light in his veins.

The demon general walked to him, boots nearly touching the back of his head. "I see your secrets," he growled. "They are as clear as day."

Will tried to rise, but Admirel Blyden shoved him back down.

"Your mother was abusive," Blyden continued. "She would burn you with lighters and cigarettes. And ever since then, you've had a fear of fire."

Will stayed silent, and the admirel seemed to take it as confirmation. "Perhaps that is how I'll kill you. By fire... yes."

Will was dimly aware of being grabbed by the back of his lab coat, of being dragged across the floor to the wall of fire. The heat was unbearable. He could barely breathe through the smoke in his lungs.

Will's hands scrambled desperately to find purchase on the floor, his nails scratch-scratch-scratching for anything to hold on to, but his fingers slid helplessly against the tile.

He was going to die.

To die the death of his nightmares.

Every second was an eternity, every breath an agony, as he was dragged to the flames, to the beckoning embrace of Death.

He had to try. For his infirmary, for his siblings, for himself, he had to try.

Get up, a voice whispered in his head. You must get up.

He had to rise. He had to fight. He had to try.

A cold rage swept through Will. A rage that rebelled against dying on his knees.

It was the same rage that had caused him to unleash himself in Abbadon's throne room.

He will not die like this.

He will die standing tall.

Will cast his gaze at Blyden-- and realized the chain was behind the demon's ankles as he pulled him to the flames. Yet another desperate idea came to him.

Will turned ever so slightly, drawing his legs up, body tensing to spring. The flames were inches away, scorching him.

Blyden stopped and looked down at Will, scowling. "What...?"

Now, the voice in his head shouted. NOW.

Only later would Will realize it was the voice of Apollo.

With a battle cry, Will Solace surged to his feet and wrapped the chain around Blyden's throat.