𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟎

Will felt disconnected from reality, as though his spirit had left his body. He hardly noticed the demons circling him, waiting for Blyden's order to attack.

Suddenly, there was a flash of golden light. Screams filled the air, and the demons scattered, yowling and snarling.

It took Will a moment to realize they were running from him. An aura of light blazed around him, pushing the darkness back.

"The blessing of Apollo!" Blyden exclaimed, eyes wide in shock. He cursed, turning to the other demons. "We cannot touch him until the blessing wears off. Come. I must notify the king." With a final glare at Will, he stormed out of the cell. The demons disappeared.

Sunlight filled the room, and a tall, blonde man appeared. He looked shockingly similar to Will. He could have been his... father.

Will sat up, staring at the man. He put two and two together.

This man was his father.

Apollo knelt in front of Will. "I am forbidden to interfere, but I couldn't stand idly by as you suffered." He waved to the aura. "This will not last for long, but it should last long enough. It will give you some relief from the torture, and heal a few of your wounds."

"Why are you here?" Will dared to ask.

Apollo looked him in the face. "I am here to tell you that Camp Half-Blood has given up searching for you. No one is coming to your aid." He squeezed Will's shoulder. "You must find a way to escape on your own."

Will stared at him. "How...?"

"You must figure that out yourself," Apollo said. "But--"

There was a crash in the hall, then raised voices. Apollo turned to the door with a quiet curse. "They are coming." The sun god turned and grabbed his son by the shoulders, locking eyes with him. "Remember this: You are a child of Apollo. You are a child of light. Do not let your light go out."

Apollo disappeared just as the door flew open with a bang, and Blyden stormed in.