𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟕

Will was asleep at his desk, his head resting on his arms. Strands had come loose of his ponytail, falling in his face.

Today had been long, chaotic, and exhausting. Will had gladly fallen into the familiar rhythm of the infirmary. He wished that he had gone back to helping sooner; curing a patient of their pain helped ease his own.

He was deep in dreamless dark when the alarms went off.

He jolted awake, struggling to take in his surroundings. He leaped to his feet, nearly falling out of his chair.
Cursing, he rushed into the hall.

Smoke hung thick in the air, tinting the world in gray. Screams cut through the air, piercing the once-peaceful silence.

"Fire!" people were yelling. "Fire!"

Kayla rushed over. "I was about to wake you," she said. "The northern wing of the infirmary--"

"Has everyone been evacuated?" Will interrupted, watching Austin and other campers usher patients out the door.

Kayla's eyes darkened. "Some said they heard screaming," she said. "But we're not sure. We..."

Will's expression hardened. Whirling around, he grabbed a fire extinguisher off the wall, but Kayla, already sensing what he would do, grabbed his shoulder.

"You can't!" she shouted. "It's too dangerous!"

Will tore from her grip and sprinted into the smoke.