Part 9

Disclaimer: This is a work of fan fiction using characters from the Harry Potter world, which is trademarked by J. K. Rowling. This story is purely for entertainment purposes, no money is being made from it.

A/N: Another chapter edited by lovely Loki God of Evil ( LokiMischiefMaker). Thank you :*

________________

He was skimming through the headlines in the Daily Prophet, frowning. Rubbish, this daily informer published nothing but nonsense. Lucius strolled into the dining room, his blond hair, a dishevelled mess, eyes still puffy from sleep.

"Dobby, coffee, strong. Now!" Lucius flopped on the chair, yawning without even trying to cover his mouth. "It is so hard to find good help these days."

"Yes," he mumbled absentmindedly. In a way, he felt honoured because not many had seen Lucius in this state. Suddenly, he froze, his heart pounding in his chest, climbing his slow painful way up to his throat.

"Anything interesting?" Snape enquired.

"Nothing," Lucius replied, closing the papers and folding them. The title of the article was still floating in front of his eyes. It read- 'POTTER HEIR TO BE WED AT THE END OF THE SCHOOL YEAR – SCHOOL SWEETHEARTS'. He focused on the food in front, his porridge was overly cold while Lucius nursed and hugged the cup of coffee like his life depended on it.

"I have to congratulate you, it is a rare honour..."

"I am well aware of that." He cut off his friend, cold emptiness settled in his chest, he slammed his second occlumency wall hard, locking any thought behind that might try to evoke positive emotion or remorse. Snape really had nothing more to lose, so now he would only take care of himself, and that's all he was intending to do.

"You can use my potions lab, all the ingredients are there." Lucius offered. "The instructions are in the family Grimoire. I admit, I never thanked you for returning the book to me." The blonde haired wizard spoke, mulling over his coffee.

"It should be your inheritance, Lucius. Besides, I already offered you to return all the books he left me. It was only to anger you, surely he never meant for me to have them?"

"As adequate brewer as I am," Lucius intoned, "My strengths lie in diplomacy. Therefore, I had no interest in potions. With you, these very books have more purpose. Surely Severus, allowing my children and their heirs' access to your library we will be fine and sufficient in itself."

"No granting is necessary and you know it," Snape replied. Seeing that Lucius was casting him an odd glance. "Shall we? I have a poison to brew."

"I knew you had it in you, but honestly I never thought that you would admit to it."

"You underestimated me, Lucius." Snape offered, eyebrow quirked, teasing.

"Yes, it appears I did." Lucius stood and motioned Snape to follow. "If you will..."

Why? Why did I brew that poison? Why after learning its name?

No more memories, I know what I did. I already know. Darkness was silent, floating all around him.

I know... I know why. They saw me. They recognized my potential. They saw what I could be instead of how I didn't fit. Was it, was it that wrong that I had wished to be recognized?

Ah, but it was. Lily!

The flutter of ice touched his insides like a butterfly wing when he read the name of the poison. He was familiar with it, given that it was one of the potions from the Malfoy family Grimoire, and he'd already read it more than once.