Chapter 13

"Oh my god, dude, you're a lifesaver!" Louis exclaimed. The others around him were nodding in agreeance with him, even though it was fairly dramatic. I placed my guitar back inside it's case and waited for one of them to hand over the fifty I was promised. Instead, they kept talking about my track.

Jerred, the one that played the drums in our arrangement, leaned back in his chair at the computer as he looked over the sound file in Cakewalk. "You're really, really good. I don't think any of us could have pulled off that riff."

"No joke. With that lead guitar we're sure to get a good amount of views." Vincent, the one that had literally been sitting on his ass the entire time, smiled at me. I wanted to smack him.

Just before practice I got to know some of them. Jerred was the ringleader in all of this. He planned the music, which honestly wasn't that great to begin with, and Louis who was playing bass for some reason, and then this asshole. I couldn't figure out what his part in all of this was, apart from sitting there being useless. "Well, good luck with that." I said, throwing my strap over my shoulder and glanced at my watch. The last bus for my area would be leaving soon. "I have to go."

"Alright. Again, thanks for everything!" They cheered, going back to Cakewalk. I sighed. "Uh- did you forget something?"

"I think you did." I was getting pissed. We'd spent all of this time arguing about the arrangement, I thought they would have already had done by the time I got there, that we wasted so much time. The sun was already started to set and Emy was home alone again. "Where's my money?"

They looked amongst themselves, Louis getting nervous.

I rolled my head back. "God damnit." I grumbled.

Jerred looked back toward Louis. "What'd you promise him?"

"Uh... Fifty."

"Fifty!" Jerred jumped out of his chair. "Are you insane." He turned to me. "Dude, we thought you were just here to play with us."

"You thought wrong." I glared at Louis. It's not like these rich fucks can't fork over a fifty. It's practically pocket change to them. "I'm not leaving without what was promised to me." Because without it I couldn't afford the phone and I'd have to figure out how to apologise to Taylor.

Vincent rolled his eyes. "Why would you promise him that much?" He rummaged through his pockets, turning up empty. The other two did the same thing only to come up empty. I narrowed my gaze, already feeling myself beginning to lose my shit.

Out of everyone here I have the most money at fifty cents?

"Well... we'll have to pay you back later. Sorry about this." Vincent smiled, turning to glare at Louis who was blushing.

I sighed. "Whatever." Walking out I made sure to slam the door. Rich people, always lying. What else is new?

The last bus leaving was about a mile and a half down the road from Louis' place near the park I used to go to as a kid. It was empty now, seeing as it was almost nine, but the nostalgia of it all still hit me. It was a good feeling, one that allowed myself to calm down from the lie from before. The bus pulled up near the curb, opening both of its doors for incoming and outcoming traffic. Amongst the mass of people coming home from work, I slipped through into the back, laying low, so that the driver wouldn't see me, and picked a seat in the far back out of everyone's way.

I let myself relax into the uncomfortable seats, keeping my foot up off the sticky ground. The drive would be an hour and a half to get as far as the river. Then another five minute walk to the sub shop and alley near my house. I sighed again, getting lower. As the bus started up, it went around the corner to head toward the shit part of town. Going right past that park for a second time.