Chapter 28

I yawned, opening my heavy eyes, my body feeling just as heavy, and stared into my mother's eyes. "Hello there." She sat up straight, straightening out the crutches under her. "I thought you said you were going to box up the kitchen."

"Oh... I must have fallen asleep -" As I tried to get up, it immediatly hit me why I must have fallen asleep. Taylor groaned, laying his arm over my chest. "Hey, get up." He didn't move. "Geez."

My mom smiled. "I didn't want to wake you two up, you looked so peaceful. But, the truck is here and we only have until tomorrow morning to keep it so get up and help us."

I sighed, trying to push Taylor, but he wouldn't move. "Taylor, get up." Nothing. "Taylor!"

He jolted, opening his eyes. "What? Geez."

"We fell asleep. Get off of me."

"Huh?" He looked around in a daze. It wasn't until his eyes set on my mother that he snapped to attention and leaped off of me. "O-oh... okay... boxes... moving... them... to... truck..." His face was growing red. "I'll go." He trailed off and quickly left the room.

"Isn't he just adorable?" Mom snickered. "Ivan and Prija are here too. They had a day off, can you believe it? What luck. Anyway, Ivan will drive the truck. You and Taylor can carry the heavy furniture. Okay?"

I sat up, swinging my legs over the bed. "Yeah, that's fine." I stood up. "I'll box the kitchen."

"We should leave here by three so we can get everything off the truck. So the girls and I will pack, you and the boys should load the truck." She paused. "Since the road doesn't go to the house, you'll probably have to walk a little ways."

Right. Forgot about that detail. It was no wonder that house sat abandoned for so long. It was such an inconvenience. "Okay." I headed for the door, out into the hallway.

Taylor was still flushed, but already helping Ivan move the couch. By the time I got there they already had it propped on its side and halfway out the front door. "Oh, hey, you're going to want to remove the bike downstairs before taking that." I said, making my way to the door. "It's always in the way."

That's one thing I definitely won't miss about this place. That fucking bicycle.

They pushed the couch further inside so I could pass them, only to find that the bicycle, which is never in use, was gone. "Son of a bitch."

"Sen! This is heavy!" Taylor called. "Did you move it?"

"Yeah, bring it down." I kicked the neighbors shoes out of the way.

Ivan went down first, carefully taking each step as they descended. The three of us did this repeatedly with all the furniture. It got easier when the beds were taken apart, since most of everything else were smaller things. Like, tables and chairs. Actually moving our things into a truck made me realize just how little we actually had. Even more so when, by the time the three of us had moved all the furniture, the girls had finished putting the smaller things into boxes and helped us put that in the truck.

The truck itself wasn't that big. It was a little longer than our couch, which fit up to three people, and the tv sitting right at the end. Even once we had put everything into it, it still wasn't full. It was more of a bitter sweet realization. We really didn't own anything, but that meant we had to carry less to the front door of our new home.

Once everything was in the truck, we had to figure out how to get to the new house. That meant splitting up.

Mom took a step away from the door of the truck. "Alright. How are we all getting there?" She quickly looked inside the truck. "I'd say three people could fit in there."