Chapter 4

By the time I'd woken up, Emy was already gone. Her uniform was off it's hanger and a few things were in disarray on the floor. Mom was still sleeping, but I didn't bother waking her. She had one day off of all her jobs and that was Friday; today. I'd let her sleep as long as she needed.

Quietly I grabbed my set of keys hanging over the door and hopped down the stairs, doing my best to avoid the damn bike that never seemed to be in use. Looking at my watch it was close to six in the morning, meaning if I hurried I'd be able to catch the bus going south across the river. I rushed, taking a short cut over someone's lawn and jumping over the half wall. That took me right up to the bus just seconds before it stopped.

Great, I thought. I'll be able to get breakfast. I took a seat in the back, setting my guitar case up against the window.

At our school Emy and I were given special treatment. Well, as far as food and supplies went. We were talented and riding on a partial scholarship that paid for about a quarter of our tuition and all of our food. Of course that was limited to one meal breakfast and one meal lunch, which they controlled and monitored. The two of us didn't really care, though. It was more than we would get if we paid on our own.

The bus stopped and I left, walking down a short alley to the main street where students dressed in the same uniform were heading. Inside I went straight to the cafeteria, grabbed my portion of a breakfast sandwich and juice, and sat down at one of the tables. As early as it was no one was here. Except a few students in the back that were keeping to themselves. Most of the students that arrived at this time were taking extra classes, in the library, or meeting with their teacher to discuss schoolwork.

"Hey." My head sunk when I heard that stupid familiar voice. He sat beside me, facing away from the table. "You're here early."

"I am." I took a bite of my sandwich. "You don't have to be by me, you know."

"My friends aren't here. I saw you so I thought we'd chat for a bit."

"Yeah? We aren't friends, you realize." I stopped myself. Maybe I should play nice, or I won't be able to use his phone. "Well, actually, I wanted to ask you something."

"Huh?" He turned to look at me finally.

"I was wondering if I could use your phone to get a part time job."

He made a face. "Don't you have one?"

"I don't."

"Didn't we exchange... shit, I didn't get your number."

"You mean the one that doesn't exist?" I sighed. "I'm not asking without giving you something in return." He waited. "I'm saying if you let me use your phone we can go to the hideout whenever you want."

He seemed to perk up a bit. Only a bit. "Whatever happened to waiting?"

"I need a job."

He giggled. "Aw, not as good a guitarist as you think?"

"Will you take the deal or not?"

He froze. "Burn me."

"Uh- what?"

He pulled his sleeve up, revealing fresh wounds I hadn't seen on him before. "Burn me. I don't care how you do it."

I grabbed his wrist, causing him to wince. "Will you ever tell me why you make me hurt you?"

For that, he glared at me. "No."

This was really bugging me. Is it a kink? He gets turned on whenever I beat him. I didn't get it. "I'm not going to burn you."