Chapter 16

The weight that was pushing so harshly against me seemed to have faded like wind. The painful feeling I had, where it was like getting ripped apart, had all subsided. My anxiety dissolved and for the first time in years I allowed myself to believe someone else's words.

Of course, that in itself made me a little worried.

"What in the world are the two of you cuddling for!" Emy yelped, finally pulling away from her petty squabbling with Ivan.

Taylor jumped and pulled away from me. "N-n-nothing!"

She made a face, crossing her arms. "Uh-huh. Are you two an item, or something?"

Or something. "We're not together." I said, glancing at him. Something must be wrong with me. There was a feeling inside me now that I couldn't quite place, one I'd felt only once before, and I couldn't tell if it was more uncomfortable than the weight.

"R-right... we're not dating." Taylor confirmed.

Ivan made a face behind Emy. She just kept grinning. "Honestly Sen being gay is so not a shock."

"Really?"

"What the hell, Emy?" I glared at her.

"Actually it makes more sense that you'd be bi." She further explained. "Oh, but where are we staying tonight?"

"I'll talk to my mother about it." Taylor pulled out his phone from his pocket and moved to leave the room. Ivan put his hand out. "What?"

"You think that's a good idea? Especially now?"

"I think it's a fantastic idea because it's now." He said, pushing passed Ivan. "No need to worry, I'm fairly persuasive."

Emy and I gave each other worried looks. "Will they even let us stay? He told me his parents don't like it when he brings people over." I pointed out, looking back at my mother.

Ivan shrugged. "Normally, no, but I think I know what he's doing." He looked at me.

"What?"

"Nothing, really. Just that before meeting you he was never like this."

I glanced back at him. "Like what?"

"Eh, what would you call it? Confident?" He nodded. "Yeah, just that he's always been rather depressed." He smiled to himself. "It's nice seeing him like this."

Emy grinned. "Honestly, that doesn't sound like Sen at all." I shot her a nasty look. "What? Just saying that you don't really make friends."

Friends. I guess that's what we were? Maybe even a little more to each other.

In so many ways he reminded me of Lucy. They weren't at all similar, at least she had an appreciation for music. Not to mention the whole blackmailing thing. Nonetheless, there have been few to knock down my walls. I have to hand it to them, Ford, Lucy, and Taylor too. All of them are really something.

"They said yes!" Taylor exclaimed, holding his phone up in a fist for victory. Ivan made a face.

"Where do you live?" Emy asked, back on the window couch with her arms and legs crossed.

"Appelton." Ivan explained, to which Emy cocked a brow. Appelton was known for its giant mansions and rich culture. Her appreciation for it spanned further than mine, however, as there was a popular art gallery in town.

"How'd you do it?" I asked.

He stuck his tongue out at me. "Tis a secret." Behind him Ivan continued making that face. A silent expression that read, 'you idiot, what are you doing?' Making me wonder how the hell he managed this.