Chapter 23

My fist connected hard against his fine jawline. Immediately I felt the pain in my hand spiking through my nerve to my elbow my funny bone throbbing. He stumbled back a little, despite being completely prepared for the assault. After gathering his bearings, he glared down at me.

"Satisfied?" That tone was low and dark.

I pulled away from him. It wasn't satisfying. At all. Why not? I have him, my worthless shit father, right in front of me, and punching his stupid mug. It was a dream come true. A desire years overdue, yet I didn't feel anything.

Rather, it didn't make me satisfied.

"You don't look fine." Roger said, straightening himself out and touching his reddening cheek softly. "Want to hit me again?"

I let out a long, drawn out sigh, pressing my white knuckles against my sides. Would hitting him again get the job done?

No.

In the end, this bastard wasn't going to suffer the way we had. He wouldn't feel true pain and fear of the one person that was supposed to protect him. He won't suffer for years after, too afraid to connect with anyone because of every moment of betrayal. He simply wouldn't understand. Hitting him wouldn't do it.

Besides, Taylor was standing by the door of the greenhouse with his arms crossed and obviously uncomfortable.

"What do you want then?" He was getting impatient. "I swear to God, Sen, if you try to take my life I will kill-"

"Oh shut up, old fart." I rolled my eyes. "You're not even worth it." My eyes looked to the ground and the red tile. "Punching you didn't help. I doubt anything will." I hate that. "Just sign that you gave me the Rolex. I want this to be over and done with so I never have to see you again."

He huffed, leaning back against one of the glass tables. "You're fine with just the Rolex?"

"Yeah, surprisingly not everyone is as big of an assbag as you."

He winced at my comment. "You've turned into some kid."

"Without your help." I crossed my arms, shoving a piece of paper in his face I'd gotten approved by Allison, who I learned was a lawyer. "Just do this one good deed."

He snatched the contract from me, reading it over. "A gift, huh?"

"Your personal contribution to the speaker of the fundraiser." I joked. If that was even a thing. "Hurry up so I can see my mom."

He slammed it against the glass, scribbling his half ass signature on the sheet and shoved it into my chest. "Done. Anything else?"

"No. You can go back to enjoying your life of wealth." I turned on my heels, heading for where Taylor stayed patiently waiting. I stopped, turning back to that man. "Answer me this, before I'm gone forever... why did you do it?"

He cocked his head. "Sorry?"

"Why did you hurt us?"

"I... I don't..." He reached his hand up to rub the stubble of his chin. "I don't have a reason."

I quickly took hold of Taylor's hand. "Wow. You really all pathetic."

He looked at me. "I was young then. The drugs and the alcohol... it clouded my judgement. We never had much money, so I could never do the things I wanted." He began to explain, giving me a pitiful expression. "I never wanted a child at twenty."

That hurt. "That's why you left? Because of me?" This hurts too much. Why did I ask?

Slowly he nodded. "Vanessa changed. She was such a good mom, always taking care of you and working. That woman's always been amazing. It's why I fell for her. It's just... well as things went on we were restricted in so many ways and life was changing. I... wanted to get rid of the pregnancy, but she wouldn't do it... afterwards, I wanted to give you away, but she wanted to keep you... eight years of arguing about what to do with you, I had enough. I really really tried to be a father. Teaching you music was the only thing I could think of." He paused. "You've impressed me with your skill. I never thought you'd take it up seriously."