When One Meets Another - Chp 2

Boom. Boom. Boom. "Ma lady! Open this door!" Screamed Elma with slight desperation edged in her voice. My personal handmaiden left to watch me during the day. I stared at the tall carved oak door across the room for a second before smashing my face back into my pillow. I tried to drift off to sleep again, till I heard the jingle of keys. "What!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. Normally I am a quiet, gentle person. That is when I get enough sleep.

"You must dress quickly! We have a guest!." shouted the distraught Elma.

Startled I slipped out off my high bed, landing with a thud. My eyes started swelling with tears. I had forgotten about my ankle. So I lay there on my back. Tears fighting to be free, and an annoying maid trying to break into my room. After a few moments, I finally got up and headed to the door. Pulling my robe on over my night gown, I wobbled over to the door. Turning the latch, then pulling the handle. The door opened with a creak. There huddled around the door, were five maids including Elma. Each holding a ring of keys. This made me crack a smile. Each resembled a plump squirrel wearing ladies' gowns. Their eyes lifted to meet mine.

"You know this is not acceptable," I said, putting on a stern face. Elma was the first to recover. She quickly bowed, then grasped my wrist pulling me from my room.

"Pardon me ma'lady it's just are guest will want to meet you soon and your in quite an presentable state." Sighed Elma hurriedly. quickly she took on a faster pace her periwinkle drees skirts swished with a rustle.

"Hey!'' I squeaked, as she pulled me yet faster down the Hall in my night gown. Pulling myself together from my usual morning wreck, I cut in front of Elma slipping into the bathing room. Hardly giving a thought to these guest, it was most likely more foreign lords coming to talk about are new trade route.

"I will give myself a bath. Send my cloths in through the shoot." I said turning the latch on the door. My favorite part about having a bathing room all to myself is it comes with a lock.

"Open the door ma-lady." Whispered Elma in a pleading voice. Then started pounding on the door."It's fine you have the rest of the day off. Please go Elma." I shouted back. Though she kept up pounding on the door to open so I don't see how it helped.

Elma was the only maid in the world I am sure that would ever care this much about their Lady. If I could get to my black suit and mask I could knock her out for at least an hour. I lifted my hand to my face and slapped myself. "Don't ever think that way." I Scolded myself. Walking to the stone pool of constantly sultry water, I dipped my feet in. Suddenly the banging on the door ceased.

"My Lady? Yes, Yes." Mumbled Elma to whom I presume was my mother. "Calissta you have ten minutes. So I suggest you hurry." Whispered my mother the Lady Ella of Mel Born. The magnificent nobility of her voice continually amazed me. 

"Yes mother," I replied obediently.

After her foot steps echoed down the hall I stripped down, then sank into the temperate pool. My Hands tracing the scars on my left thigh and arm. Ever since I got my first wound I never let my ladies in waiting help me in the bath. Since six years ago when I was thirteen. I grasped a soap of bar sitting on the edge off the bath. Inhaling the sweet scent of honey and Buttercups brought back a vivid memory.

It was on my birthday. I had just took back secret papers from the Count of Delbo. Who really was not fond off my taking them. He left me with a gash from his blade, starting from my shoulder blade to my armpit. I really don't know how he made the cut so long.I remembered how i was to excited to really care about the wound no matter how bad it hurt. The maids had set out a wonderfully beautiful gown with sleeves about two inches wide made in soft velvet silk. The perfect summer dress. I had just bathed and bandaged my wound so the bleeding had stopped. I pulled on my dress and it fit wonderfully, but my left sleeve was to high and bulged. This made me enraged. Gently unwrapping the bandages I told myself no sudden movements so not to reopen the wound. Quite a silly thing to tell myself, a girl who ran around in the dark with a mask on.

In the end I played a game of ball with a the visiting members of court. My gash tore open letting blood flow freely.

I shook my head trying to forget the memory.

Quickly climbing out of the pool I grasped a thick cotton blanket and started drying myself off. I poked at my swollen ankle for a few moments. Then made my way to a hole in the wall where the maids left a set of clean cloths. Guessing by the size they were for my eldest sister Lady Vidia. I did not mind to much though I am sure she would throw a fit. Pulling on the green silk dress that flowed delicately around my waist I continued on with brushing my hair with a fine bone comb. I quietly pulled the door open.

Sliding out the door and down the hall. My bare feet were still a slight bit wet and left foot prints. I finally felt certain no one was in the west wing after passing corridor after corridor with no guards nor servants. Now I was striding down the halls past the banquet hall.

"Are you sure it was here she came?" Asked my Father Patrick the Duke of Mel born. His voice stopped me dead in my tracks. Walking back to the banquet hall solid oak doors. Pressing my eye to the crack off the door to get a better look at the inside.

I watched human shapes pass the door multiple times but no talking. Giving up after about a minute took step back.

"Yes I am sure." Responded a familiar voice. Crossing my arms I waited for more.

"How?" Questioned my father.

"Let me show you." Responded the same familiar voice. The asking questions and explain by showing went on for awhile. Which started getting annoying. Getting a little hungry and tired I yawned. Maybe to loud.

"What was that?'' asked the unknown voice. Before I could flee the doors flung open.

"My Daughter has come to join are party i see." Their stood my father with all his advisers and some strangers behind him. "Hi Father." I replied loudly taking a mocking bow.

He just shook his head and grinned. "May I present to you Prince Derik my daughter the Lady Calissta." I almost gasped out loud as my heart left my body with its abrupt halt.