2. Dont Judge me

"I know, I know but I didn't expect her to go batshit crazy on me."
I rub my face with my hands.
"Okay all I'm saying is, you can't blame her for being upset. I mean, you are doing something she's been waiting around for forever to do. You're a damn CSE for goodness sake. How're you feeling?"
I smile slyly before replying, "Not as good as I should," I sigh, "I'm just worried about her you know? I haven't spoken to her since yesterday, and I know she's taking it pretty hard..."
"Stop!"
"What?"
"Just Stop! Like why are you sitting here moping about this chick. You just got a promotion. A freaking promotion Mí Amor. Let's go celebrate."
"Celebrate?"
I roll my eyes in a joking way.
"Yes, celebrate. What? You're too big to celebrate with us Models now?"
"Didn't say that."
I watch as she gets up from the couch. After ten years and I still can't believe Essence became a freaking model. I mean, yeah she has the height and potential but in school she was such a book worm. You couldn't pay her to get rid of her miniature library she had at home and now she's this makeup, hair, fashion guru who you couldn't pay to get rid of a outfit or two.
"What are you doing?"
She asks looking around innocently.
"What do you mean?"
"Why are you still sitting on your ass? Get up. The party starts at 10 sharp and it's already—." She looks at the clock residing on the wall, " —9 o'clock."
"You know I don't club."
"Do you have a better idea of celebrating?"
"What? Besides you getting swarmed by paparazzi? 'Oh Essence Fuller take a selfie with me'."
We laugh at my imitation of a fan.
"Okay, you can't hate me for having darling fans. They love them some Essence Fuller. Who wouldn't?"
"Jump off the high horse, won't you?," I get up from the couch, " but the last thing I want to do right now is be surrounded by sweaty people that smell like weed and feet, okay?"
"Well watching YouTube couples doing fake pranks on each other, doesn't seem much better," she picks up a framed picture, "You have got to do better my sista."
I bite my bottom lip in a thinking habit like way.
"How about we attend the red carpet event tonight at 10? All the celebs will be there and maybe you can introduce me to some of your friends."
"Okay, slow down. You do know that's the part of my life I'm running from, right?"
"Yeah you've told me a million times and I still don't understand why. You know all the right people ,why not enjoy it?"
"Why not enjoy it? You're talking as if  this is a walk in the park. Yes knowing the right people opens a lot of doors, but the publicity... the publicity isn't such a dandy thing," she sits next to me before finishing, "everything you do, everything you say, can either help or hurt you. There's always someone waiting for you to eff up somehow and when you do , don't be surprised if you're tomorrow's hot topic."
She gives me a look I can't really read.
"What? Why are you looking at me like that?"
"You're a CSE now and believe it or not, hanging with celebrities will either help or harm you. So, be careful who you take under your wing. Everybody's not worth saving."
"Thanks, mom. I'll keep that in mind," I sarcastically remark, "so are we going to the red carpet event or not? Please? Please? I swear I won't ever ask you to do anything else."
"I've been to one already this week, Lexi."
I poke out my bottom lip while giving her the saddest puppy eyes I could pull off.
"Fine. Just be aware, this will never happen again, understand? Never!"
"Thank you, thank you."
I hug her before scrambling off the couch and up to my room to find a nice dress to put on. I walk into my closet, that was almost as big as my bedroom, and looked for something eye catching.
"Since I'm already here, it wouldn't make sense to go home and come back..."
Essence started.
"Can you please stop creeping up on me like that and no you cannot borrow any of my clothes."
"Are you serious?"
"Just because you agreed to go to this event , doesn't mean I would change my mind about letting you wear my clothes."
"Favor for a favor?"
"Dolce and Gabbana is not cheap, Ess. I paid literally $6,000 for that silk gown, not that you care. Why couldn't you find a cheaper dress of mine to want to borrow."
She rolls her eyes in disbelief before replying , "Just forget it. I'll go home and get dressed. I'll meet you there, okay?"
I nod my eyes not leaving my clothes.
"Don't be late!!!"
I hear her scream from downstairs.

I couldn't believe all the people who were at this event. I stare in astonishment before stepping out and taking in how many fans were behind ropes trying to peek every celebs outfit as they strutted down the red carpet towards the inside of the Cathlon.
"Keys, ma'am?"
I look at the young guy confusingly.
"Excuse me?"
"Valet parking madam."
"Oh, right." I lay my keys in his opened hand and made my walk down the carpet towards the entrance. Now where the hell is ess?
I look around the lobby area for essence , who was obviously not around and here I am all alone. I pull my S9 from my clutch.
"Hey it's Essence's voicemail. I couldn't make it to the phone but I'll be sure to get back to you as soon as possible kisses."
"Essence where the hell are you? I have made my appearance at this thing and you're still not here. Just give me a call back please."
I smile at familiar faces as I place my phone back into my clutch. This was not my idea of a celebration, me being here alone around celebrities of which I only know from a TV screen or radio.
Wait until I get my hands on that essence. Just wait.
I look around at the celebrities mingling among themselves. I don't fit in. I don't fit in at all. Then my phone starts ringing.
"Essence you betraying piece of shit .where are you?"
"I'm coming. I had to change my entire ensemble because I wasted wine on it. You know I like a little wine after 9:00."
"Okay, I'm so happy that you're enjoying yourself, while I'm here like a bass in a sea full of freaking sharks. I will not wait another minute while you indulge yourself in your sweet little wine."
"Calm down. I am on the way now, if it makes you feel any better."
"It doesn't."
"Well, word of advice, just mingle a bit. The thing about celebrities is they're celebs because they act like one. So ,act like one."
"How am I — Hello? Hello! Essence?"
I look at my phone as it shifts to the main screen.
"Shit!"