10. Damage

"Mom where are you?"
I say to myself as I drive around the worst parts of LA. To say i am intimidated would be an understatement, I am freaked out of my mind right now. I have no idea where she could be and to think i would find her here is even horrifying. I search up and down the streets until i feel as if she was nowhere to be found but that was up until i spot Roscoe's Monte Carlo parked in front of a off white house. It was the type of house you wouldn't want your mother to be caught dead in, so my palms instantly became sweaty. The sight of the house sent chills up and down my spine, and I couldn't help but feel afraid of what i might find inside of it.
I park behind the monte carlo before stepping out onto the ground. I can feel within me that what was behind that door would be heart wrenching.
I walk up the stairs onto the porch. The porch swing swung as the wind blew it back and forth and the porch itself was rotting in certain places; Places I was making sure to be careful not to step on.
I walk up to the peeling door unprepared for what could be behind it.
I don't get paid for this shit.
I ball my fist up preparing myself to knock but the door creaks open before I get the chance to.
I step over the threshold into the house and the first thing to hit me as i do was the smell. The smell.... It was something i had never smelled before. As if something has died and rotted. I cover my mouth keeping myself together.
Please don't puke. Please don't puke.
"Mom?"
I call out through the house.
I step over a mattress that was blocking the entrance to the hallway.
Okay, this is obviously something out of a horror film.
"Hello? Mom are you here."
I walk down the hallway slowly, the floorboards creaking as I take steps.
"Mom are you--"
I scream as a figure came into view near the end of the hallway.
I can't make out who it is or what they look like due to the darkness that the spray painted windows kept inside the house.
"Hey I'm looking for my mom. Uh, sh-she um was with the man that rides the monte carlo out front. I don't know if ---"
"You shouldn't be here."
The male voice says not budging an inch.
"Excuse me?"
"You shouldn't be here."
He repeated.
"I'm just looking for my mom that's it. If you can just tell me where she is, I promise I will leave. I just want to find my mom."
"You shouldn't be here."
I could hear my heart pounding in my ears, but I couldn't just walk away without knowing if my mom was here or not.
"Please, I know I shouldn't be here, but i need to know if my mom is here. You have a mom and I'm sure if she was some place harmful that you would like to know if she's in danger or not. I'm not asking you to do me any favors, I'm just asking you to tell me where my mom is."
"What's her name?"
"Linda. Linda Crawford."
He points to the right of him down another hallway before answering," Follow me."
I nod hesitantly before slowly walking towards him as her walks down the hallway he pointed out earlier.
I didn't realize how huge this place was from the outside. Why would mom want to be here? Out of all places here?
I follow the guy in all black, whose face i still couldn't catch a glimpse of, for safety purposes.
"Is this a crack house?"
I thought i said it in my head, but by the way he abruptly stopped I knew I said it out loud.
"If you tell anyone about this place, they'll be the last person you tell anything to. You hear me?!"
"Of course. I was just wondering why exactly my mom was here, but i guess i know now."
My heart dropped to my feet as i say this. I never thought my mom would relapse after all that she has put us through, and to think that Kandyce was right about her this whole time kills me even more. I don't want her to be right about Mom because i know mom is much better than what she's putting out to be. I just know she is, but it seems as though she doesn't want anyone else to know that, obviously.
He stops a few feet ahead me and stood beside what was suppose to be a door to a room but was now just a sheet hanging over the entrance way.
"She's in there."
"Thank you."
I slowly push the sheet to the side, and what i see makes me feel even worse than i initially thought
"Mom? what are you doing?"
I pull her off the man who wasn't roscoe because roscoe was busy filming.
"What the hell are you doing?"
"Lexi what the hell are you doing here?"
she screams covering herself up with the sheet from the mattress.
"What am I doing? Me, Mom? What are You doing? What is this? Is this what you have let yourself come to?"
"Lexi What i do is my business. I am a grown ass a woman and for you to come here just so you--"
"You're suppose to be my mom. My mom. Why are you doing this to me?"
The tears i tried so desperately to hold back quickly flowed down my face.
"I had faith in in you mom. Me! I did that! I laughed in Kandyce's face when she said you were nothing but a junkie and I laughed because I knew that wasn't true, or at least i thought it wasn't true. You have put us through so much, so much mom. You did that to Us, and you stopped doing drugs just to come be somebody's Slut instead of being a damn mother. I thought you would change and not for us but for yourself. I really believed you wanted to do something right in your life and now i know you don't give a damn about anything. some mother you are. you two deserve each other because you're both pathetic,"
I say furiously before turning around to leave.
"baby girl."
She pleads causing me to turn around.
"Go to hell, Linda."
The hurt that plastered her face didn't affect me as it use to. It only made me feel better knowing she knows how it feels to be hurt.