Chapter 34

'To chop some wood,' To chop some wood? What's that supposed to mean? She seemed pretty angry leaving here but she did have that devilish look in her eye as she smirked while she walked away. 'To chop some wood.' Damn Johanna and her cryptic language. Does it mean she's going home to her district. To cut wood. She's leaving this district obviously because this district barley has any trees to cut down and is known for fishing, she must be going home that's the only logical explanation.

I went inside hours ago. Straight after Johanna had left actually. Well not straight after because I did help Annie with washing up and clearing the veranda table. Fin wanted me to play with him and his trucks but I politely turned him down with an excuse that I'm train-lagged. This statement wasn't completely a lie due to the fact that I barley got any sleep in the morning. I was awake till the early hours of the morning without even knowing it. I guess that's what thinking does to you.

So now I'm dressing myself in the morning. Wetting my face to get rid of the lingering red puffiness around my eyes. Yes I have been crying but what did you expect? I might have such a tough exterior but inside me is a small wounded child crying for a new life or a way out of this one. When I have those devilish thoughts I somehow remember the people that matter so much to me that died so I can live. I begin to see clearer and eventually I carry on with those demons clawing and ripping at my back.

I carry myself downstairs and towards the kitchen where I make a proper meal for myself, for a change. Fin is sitting quietly at the table while thrusting his spoon into his as he claims, 'big boy bowl' which is actually just a ceramics bowl with fishes painted on them, eating his cocoa pops. His favourite breakfast meal, I wouldn't blame him though not that I know any other kids but it's what I hear when I take him to his preschool a few blocks away from the house.

"Hey Fin," I mumble quietly.

"Hey Katniss!" He says with a mouth chocked full of half-chewed up cocoa pops.

"I just have a quick breakfast and then I will take you to preschool okay?" I suggest even though he really doesn't have a say in it.

"Okay but can we take the shortcut route. I wanna see this friend of mine."

"Girl or boy?" I ask curiously.

"Girl." He states.

"Girlfriend?" I tease my godson.

"No! Friend. That is a girl!" He protectively shouts.

"Okay Finny boy, whatever you say!" I tease further before walking over and opening the cupboard to retrieve a breakfast cereal of none other than cocoa pops.

Johanna's POV (A/N: You obviously had to see this coming.)

Taking the double express train seems to actually do it's purpose. It fucking payed more but it was all worth it in the end. Like seriously $150 for one person on the express, money grabbing scabs the new government must be. I speak in the past tense because I have just gotten off that shiny train and at my destination. There is some serious wood to be chopped here anyways.

This place is just as I remember it. Shitty and stinks, yay me! My two favourite combos rolled into one. I have to admit on the other hand that the council of this town has really built it up to its potential, it's basically flourishing. It freezing here though which is a downer but I came here to chop some wood so I won't be here long at all.

It's not really working but I have been trying this thing, a new thing to be nice to people. Yeah I know it must not be working but I have to try and at least tolerate people which I would love to admit is actually working. Trying is better than not trying at all right? I hope to increase my people skills since I really don't have any well not after my first games at least.