Chapter 21: Waiting Game

Midna's visits were daily and she never missed a day. When they asked what time she came each day, she said she couldn't tell them, since time was different in the Twilight Realm. They had to sing it whenever they went to sleep.

Each one of Midna's visits got shorter and she got increasingly hostile. Her annoyance from Link and Zelda's actions along with her kingdom's hatred for her made it more and more difficult to withstand everything in general; the way Link and Zelda pried for information even Midna couldn't get, the way her citizens would look at her with hatred, and the kingdom's ignoring of her.

Link and Zelda weren't having the nightmare anymore. Being awake was enough of a nightmare to handle.

It felt like an eternity they sat in that cell, with little to no food once a day, and Midna's off-putting visits that made the two shameful in their actions. They started to realize the errors in their ways, and couldn't look their old best friend in the eye anymore.

In actuality, it was a bit less than a month in Light Realm time that the two were locked away in boredom until Midna's visit actually brought news.

The Twilight Princess came in and slid a small tray of food under the bars, where there was a gap. Link and Zelda gratefully halved it between themselves and thanked Midna, who sighed heavily, as usual.

"I have something else." She said. Link and Zelda looked at her with confusion and expectancy. She pulled something from behind her and slid it behind the tray. Zelda grabbed it and looked at it closely.

"Hyrule Historia?" Zelda asked in shock. Link scrambled over to see.

"It's magical. It's writing down what is happening in the Light Realm as we speak." Midna explained, and stood up. She walked away without another word. Link looked up at Zelda.

"What's happening in the Light Realm that she wants us to see?" He asked. Zelda's eyes went wide, and she hurriedly opened the book to the last page, and turned the pages backwards to get to where they had first arrived in the Twilight Realm. When she saw the Bulbin battle she read about that first night in Ordon, she started reading aloud.

"The Hero of Twilight and Queen Zelda resorted to the province of Ordona, where they settled in Ordon Village, fooling the residents to believe they were wed shortly before. This went on for a year until the villagers asked them to have children, and not wanting to reveal the true status of the relationship, they fled to the Master Sword pedestal. There, they discussed the return of their longing for the Twilight Princess' friendship, and pondered the strategy for possibly visiting her in her realm.

"They decided to head to the Mirror Chamber in the Gerudo Desert to interrogate the six remaining Sages of how to enter the Sacred Realm where the Triforce was being held in physical form. While journeying there, the Goddesses brewed a sandstorm in an attempt to stop or kill the two before they reached the Sages, which resulted in coating Hyrule and a brief pause of the duo's adventure.

"When they reached the Mirror Chamber, they were teleported to the section of the Sacred Realm where the Goddesses reside, and were challenged to a battle. They fought their respective Goddesses; the Hero battled Farore, and the former queen battled Nayru. The desperation of the Goddesses led them to become reckless in their battles, leading to an easy defeat for the both of them. Shamefully, they teleported the two to the Triforce's pedestal and they wished for the Mirror of Twilight to be repaired so they could travel between the two dimensions easily.

"When their wish was granted, the entered the realm and were taken aback to see that the Twili were hostile to light dwellers, and imprisoned the two, making them wait for their execution. The Twilight Princess worked diligently to stop her uncontrollable kingdom from doing so, but she focused more on sneaking the two out than stopping her kingdom's plans."