Epilogue

They got down the ladder and Link searched for a piece of horseshoe grass to call Epona, but the horse came trotting up healthily before he could search.

"How is she okay? Did someone find her?" Link wondered aloud. Suddenly, a voice resonated from Zelda's cloak pocket. They just realized they were still wearing these cloaks and hastily done makeup.

"Perhaps the Goddesses felt a little bad," the voice said. Zelda pulled out the portal object, and it immediately went from turquoise to red.

When they got on Epona and traveled away from the Gerudo Desert, they weren't shocked to see that not only did the Goddesses heal Epona, but they had lifted all of the sand from Hyrule Field.

They arrived in Ordon to see a normal village that hadn't changed one bit. When the villagers saw them, they asked some questions of their whereabouts, but they recited the story Midna had told them and went on with their daily routine, but with a truer relationship.

Instead of encountering one another, they talked and joked. Instead of Link's bed on the top ridge and Zelda's beneath him, he took the two straw beds apart and put the material together to form a bed for the both of them. He built a door at the base of his tree and lit up the basement, and that became their bedroom.

One average day, the two awoke, ready to start their routine, when Link stopped Zelda before she climbed the ladder to make breakfast.

"Let's go to Castle Town," Link suggested.

"Sure, but why?" She inquired. Link reached out to the nightstand he had built and pulled out the drawer to reveal a small box. Jokingly, he picked it up and tossed it to Zelda, and she caught it. She opened it, and to get back at Link, she slid the beautiful golden ring onto her finger and nonchalantly said "oh".

Link's face dropped at her reaction, and he was truly worried that she didn't care about it. He had snuck away from the village while she was doing her daily chores and gone to Castle Town to buy the ring.

It was indeed an engagement ring, and the design was customary to Castle Town. A simple golden ring adorned with a rhombus-shaped ruby, a circular emerald, and three small circular sapphires in a triangle formation. It represented the Goron's Ruby, or Din's Spiritual Stone of Power, the Kokiri's Emerald, or Farore's Spiritual Stone of Courage, and the Zora's Sapphire, or Nayru's Spiritual Stone of Wisdom. The Ordonians would never have known that was the customary ring of Hyrule, so there would be no question as to why it suddenly appeared on her finger.

Zelda, seeing Link's reaction, laughed uncontrollably. Link was embarrassed.

"You seriously thought I didn't care?"

"Well I don't know..."

"What don't you know? If I would have said yes or not?" Zelda laughed again, and Link stood.

"C'mon, the ceremony is already scheduled. We have to get you fitted," Link explained.

"What?" Zelda asked, surprised.

"I'm kidding. It's tomorrow, but you still need a dress."

"Is all of Ordon going to be there? They don't know about us," Zelda pointed out.

"No. No one will be there. Just us, and that's what matters."

So that day the two entered Castle Town, picked out a simple dress for Zelda, and Link had a nice outfit he had bought way over a year ago when they were living in the hidden village.

The next day, the ceremony was held in seclusion. Link had cleverly planned for it to be in Princess Agitha's Castle, which was still a beautiful place, and it was decorated with butterflies and other cute insects. Agitha watched as they were wed, and giggled cheerfully.

And just like that, they went back to Ordon. Nothing had changed for the villagers, except for even more cheer that came out when Link and Zelda talked in the village and everyone could see.

The final obstacle the two faced was the inevitable talk Rusl and Uli shared with them again, reminding them of Ordon's need for children. This time, they didn't separate the two.

"If children were something that Zelda and I thought heavily about," Link began, "we would decide to have them on our own." Link looked at Zelda, to see her opinion on the matter. They had never really talked about it.

"I can assure you that of anything, it will not be soon if it is something we discuss. Personally, and I say this unaware of Link's opinion, it is something I don't plan on discussing in the near future either." Link wasn't suprised at Zelda's unwanting for children. Both of them had been convinced that they'd be forced to have kids for a long time, and they appreciated the fact that they had a decision on the matter.

"I agree with Zelda fully," Link said.

The two were inseparable, and they shared talks with Midna as often as they could. Midna was in a similar state, living in a small village and sharing that life with someone she loved.

Everything was perfect. They were grateful that the Goddesses had let their mental turmoil go.

Even if their own selfish desperation had almost put their land into darkness.