Chapter One

One year. One year since Roman's heart had shattered in his chest upon the discovery that the boy he loved was gone. One year since the worst day of his life. One year since the world as they knew it was almost destroyed, but was saved the boy he loved. He was standing in a dusty room. It felt too familiar, too much like him, yet he still stood there, peering out the window of the dark prince's room, despite the pain it brought him.

"He would do that a lot too."

The prince heard a familiar voice, feeling someone taller than him coming up beside him. He didn't really react, sighing a little. "I understand why," he replied to the king without looking at him. "It's a nice view..."

Patton smiled, nodding with a heavy chuckle. "Yeah, it is..." he agreed, putting a hand on Roman's shoulder. "I know how hard this is for you, son."

He chuckled a little there, but it was full of pain and regret. The prince looked up curiously for an explanation as to what he found amusing. "I always thought that I'd call you that someday, but I never thought that it would be this way..."

"Yeah..." was all he managed, chest tightening at the comment; even their fathers had expected them to marry. "Sorry to disappoint you, Pat..."

The king gave him a sympathetic look. "Roman, it wasn't your fault, remember that, alright?"

The prince reluctantly nodded and he left him alone. He sighed heavily, wishing he could turn back the clocks to change what had happened. It felt like his fault. If he'd tried harder, maybe he would've been trusted enough to know the secret of the dark magic before it got out of control. If he'd tried harder, he could've stopped him from running away. If he'd tried harder, he could've saved him sooner, before things went past the point of no return. Maybe if those things had been different, it would be his engagement they'd be announcing tonight. Instead, his little brother would be announcing his engagement to Princess Thorn.

"Roman, you in here?"

Turning, he saw the younger prince entering the room. Luis looked around the room, sighing heavily. "I hate coming in here..." he murmured with a shudder. "It feels too much like him... it makes it hurt more that he's gone."

"I know... but try not to think about it too much," Roman advised, though he knew he wouldn't be taking his own advice. "Focus more on what you're announcing this evening."

Luis' face flushed as he laughed a little, coming to stand with him at the window. "Yeah, that would provide a good distraction for me," he admitted, fidgeting. "That's definitely a good distraction."

"You nervous?" the prince asked, putting an arm around his shoulders. When he nodded, he chuckled a little. "Nothing to fear, alright? You're just announcing it! The hardest part is over, she said yes. That's the hard part of proposal."

He smiled gratefully at him. "Thanks Roman," he replied, earning a smile from him. "You've... you've been really helpful this past year, you know? I... I don't really know how to thank you for being there for me... he... it's really hard not having him to talk to, but you've... you've helped so, so much Roman, just thank you."

"Well, don't, thank my dad for proposing," the prince mused, earning a small laugh from Luis. "I mean, I always saw you as my little brother anyway, but now it's official."

Roman reached up to ruffle his hair, earning a whine from him in response. "Oh come on! Last year, he messed up my hair, and now you're doing it!" he complained as he ran his fingers through it in an attempt to fix it. They shared a laugh before Luis headed for the door. "Remember to have fun tonight, okay?"

The prince nodded with a shrug in his direction as he left. "I'll try, Luis, I'll try," he promised.

The second the door closed, his facade fell and he sighed heavily. Roman knew he wasn't going to enjoy himself. He never did anymore. Nothing he did felt like it was truly fulfilling or as enjoyable as it had been. He couldn't even walk through the gardens without crying.

"God, I miss you, Virge..." the prince murmured as he leaned on the windowsill. "It's never been the same around here, you know? It's really hard to find any reason to do anything. You were the reason I'd get up in the morning..."

Roman sighed again, knowing there was no point to talking to himself. Standing up, he made his way to the door, still getting chills of being in his room when it had been uninhabited for so long. He turned toward the empty room as he stopped in the doorway, scanning it once more. It felt like any second now, he'd blink and Virgil would be there, standing where he'd been previously, smiling at him as he joined him; but that didn't happen.

It's never going to happen, he reminded himself, closing the door with a sigh. I should probably stop going in there... it's probably just making my mental state even worse... but at least I can pretend he's not gone when I'm in there...

His attention was pulled from his thoughts at the sound of voices. They were happy voices of the citizens. Citizens from all the neighboring kingdoms but one. King Fuath had understandably been uninvited from their alliance, which Roman was thankful for. He wasn't sure how well he'd be able to maintain his temper if that man walked into his new home. That was the other big difference from last year's celebration; Logan and Patton's kingdoms had unified with their marriage. With the two kingdoms becoming one, everything seemed a lot larger in scale.

Roman sighed heavily at the sound of the cheering, making his way down to he celebration. However, rather than actually going to it, the prince turned and went out to the gardens. He wasn't ready to face all those people, not even comfortable with the idea of smiling at the moment.

His feet took him where he wanted to go without him tell him to, carrying him through the gardens to the darker path. The prince felt an eerie sense of peace while walking under the shade of the trees, recalling having done just that a year ago with the man he loved at his side. At the thought, tears pricked his eyes. He's gone... he's been gone for an entire year now... just get over it... he tried to tell himself. Roman had tried every tactic he could think of to help cope with his grief, but nothing eased the pain. He's not someone I can just 'get over'... he was Virgil...

He stopped, freezing at the end of the path as tears slid down his cheeks. He was soon on his knees in front of the massive cherry blossom tree, heart throbbing as the petals fluttered down around him.

Roman cried. He cried every time he came here, imagining his times with Virgil even when not wanting to. It hurt more than anything or any pain he'd ever experienced. He regretted so many things and worried over everything he'd ever said to the dark prince. One thing above all bothered him the most.

"D-Did you know I loved you, Virgil?"