Chapter Twenty-Five

Roman raised his sword with a trembling hand as the dark prince stalked toward him. He didn't want to hurt him. If he succeeded and freed Virgil, he'd be able to return to his body and there would be only one of him again. The problem came in when he took into account the damage he did to the physical one. If he cut him to ribbons and made him bleed out, then when Virgil returned to his body, he'd die. 

He took a deep breath and focused on his adversary. "Virgil, I'm going to need your help," he called to him. "I don't know your powers very well. What can you tell me about them?"

"I have dark magic," he replied in a pained voice. "I have magic that allows me to manipulate the weather and use it to fight. I can create things out of dark matter and lightning that obey my commands. That's all I know though, I- I haven't been able to truly explore them."

The prince nodded in understanding, hoping the knowledge would be enough to fight him. "I have to hope you're not very skilled with them," Roman said.

"When he's in control of me I am," Virgil replied with a shake of his head. "You're going to have to just kill me Roman. If you hold back, you'll die and he'll be able to use me to kill everyone else. You promised me that you'd do it if there was no other option, this might be the time."

He shook his head and lifted his chin defiantly. "No, Virgil. I won't do it."

"You promised Roman-"

"I know what I promised, but it hasn't come down to that yet," he snapped as he focused on the advancing dark prince. 

He raised his hand and shot a bolt of lightning at him, which he deflected at the ground with his sword. Despite his defensive maneuver, he felt his hands sting a little with the electricity; this sword wasn't forged for magical combat apparently. 

Roman let out a hiss of pain and shook out his palms one by one, tossing the sword back and forth between his hands. He hadn't fought like this in a while but he was determined to do this.

He analyzed the Virgil in front of him. His frame was small and brawn was not his strong suit, so if the prince could just pin him down and use his extra muscle wait against him, he could win without hurting him. The main thing was learning the patterns and limits of his magic. He wouldn't be able to get close to him without knowing his limits. 

A thought crossed his mind as he swung his sword in a skilled circle. "Hey Virge, what could I say to get you to pick up a sword?" he called to the real one. 

"Uh what?" he replied, sounding immensely confused. "What's your plan?"

"If I tried to tell you, he'd hear it too," Roman pointed out as he backed up toward the weapons on the wall. 

When he got close enough, he grabbed another sword from the wall and chucked it full force toward the dark prince. Without flinching, the cursed Virgil raised his hand and stopped it with a force field of dark magic. He inspected the weapon and tilted his head. He then picked it up out of the air and touched it with the tip of his finger. 

The prince exhaled nervously as the blade turned black pulsed with purple energy. "Virgil, care to explain what the hell you just did?" 

"I just injected dark magic into the blade..." he murmured in horror. "If I cut you too many times with that, it'll kill you just from the sheer deadliness of the magic going into your body. I-I don't know what you're planning on doing, Roman, but you've got to hurry or just kill me."

Roman tried to ignore the panicking feeling in his chest at the mention of killing Virgil. He wasn't sure he'd have the strength to do it if it came down to that being his final choice. 

Taking a deep breath, he launched toward the dark prince in front of him. Their swords clashed with the sharp sound of metal on metal ringing into the air. He leaned in to try and stall the cursed Virgil and size up his strength. He could tell that he was stronger, that brawn was his advantage. He just couldn't be too risky if that blade was going to kill him with too much contact. 

He hesitated too long while thinking all of this through, Virgil taking the opportunity to stomp his foot and create a wave of electricity that rippled through the ground and hit his legs. He screamed and began to sink to his knees. 

"Roman!!" the real dark prince cried. "Use your magic!"

He didn't think about it as he felt the cursed Virgil towering over him, poised to strike him down with the darken blade. He lashed out and grabbed hold of his ankle sending sharp heat from his palm to his adversary. 

The other man screeched and dropped his sword. It sliced through some of the flesh on Roman's arm before clattering to the ground, making him hiss as a dull pain began to spread through his body from the wound. He couldn't do anything about it. He just had to keep fighting and pray it hadn't wounded him enough to kill him. 

With Virgil distracted by his ankle, he grasped his sword and then pinned him to the ground. If he hit him on the head with the handle he should be able to knock him out. 

"Roman," the real one called softly, making him look up. "You should kill me. I've caused enough trouble... more trouble than I'm worth. We'll never be able to live happily ever after. It's not in the cards for me... but you? You could end all of this and move on."

"No," Roman said, raising his sword. "You're worth everything to me."

With a swift blow with the back of the sword, he knocked out the cursed Virgil.