Chapter Eighteen

Roman shivered as he woke up, feeling the cool morning air chilling his skin wherever it was exposed. He sat up, trying not to feel paranoid as his thoughts floated back to the previous year. The weather had been linked to Virgil's mental state back then. If conditions worsened, it was because something was wrong with him. It was summer and he began to wonder if the lowered temperature was normal for the early morning or if it meant something terrible was happening.

He shook away the troubling thoughts before they consumed him, forcing himself to swing his legs over the side of his small cot. It was then that he realized he couldn't remember how he got to the cot.

The prince recalled his late night discussion with the cursed Virgil who was still where they'd left him. He was sleeping against the trunk of the tree he was tied to, making Roman's heart pang a little with pity. It was difficult for him to see someone that looked like the boy he loved in such uncomfortable conditions. They had no choice though; the dark prince that was accompanying them wasn't the Virgil they knew and it was very possible that he could attack them if they let him loose.

Thorn was already awake when surveyed their camp. It clicked that she'd been the one to put him to bed; he must have fallen asleep during his turn on watch. She was whittling something, a shimmering blade in her hand that glinted in the light of the soft morning sun. Roman yawned as he stood and made his way over to her.

"Thank you for taking watch, I had realized I fell asleep," he said apologetically.

She looked up and gave him an amused and affectionate look. "No problem," she replied. "You needed the rest, you were obviously exhausted."

"Well, just because I need rest doesn't mean you shouldn't get your rest," Roman argued as she blew away some peeling shreds of wood. He sat down beside her and took a better look at what she was working on. "What are you making anyway?"

"Just a carving, I find it calming," the princess replied as she skillfully shaved away strips of bark with the dagger she held. "My dad taught me how when I was a little girl, it's a skill I've always kept with me. They say that carvings bring about luck or the forces that are contained within them. I figured it couldn't hurt to carve a tribute to good health. Maybe it'll ward off sickness and weariness during the rest of the journey."

The prince nodded. "Speaking of the journey, we should wake Luis and Virgil, the sun is rising higher every minute and we've almost made it to the old castle."

The two of them set to work, waking up the other two of their traveling group. Virgil wasn't talkative as they packed up their gear, looking pale and shivery. Roman briefly worried that something was wrong with him but focused his attention on getting everything put away so that they could continue their travels.

Once everything was packed and secured, they set off for Virgil's old palace once more. It was looming even closer and the prince in the lead felt his skin crawl as he found the path that led up to it. The horses were beginning to act skittish, the blackened trees and the whistling of the wind unnerving them. "Shh," Roman cooed to his steed, rubbing its neck. "It's alright, nothing's going to happen to you."

"I wouldn't- I wouldn't make promises you may be unable to keep," the dark prince spoke up behind him.

He looked over his shoulder at him, raising an eyebrow. This was the first time he'd spoken since they woke him up this morning. When the cursed Virgil looked up to meet the prince's gaze, a tremor racked his body and he exhaled shakily.

"S-Sorry, I'm just not feeling well," he said. "You guys should be careful. The guardians may still be there."

Roman's blood chilled at the thought of the horrific creatures they'd fought while trying to reach the dark prince last year. He hoped they wouldn't have to deal with them again, but they were going to the palace they were made to guard.

Eventually, they arrived outside of the towering castle. Each of them looked at it with a haunted gaze; they each had memories of what happened here. Roman's lover had died because of this place. Luis's brother had died because of this place. Each of them had risked their life to get here before and it felt like it had all been for nothing when they realized Virgil had died.

Or we thought he died, the older prince thought to himself as he stopped his horse at the front steps. We were wrong, but we realized it far too late. Now we're at risk of losing Virgil again, for real this time.

Roman hopped down from his horse. "I'm going to try and entered the castle and see if the guardians are active," he told his companions. He was about to head up the steps when a voice stopped him.

"Wait, take me with you," Virgil insisted, struggling but succeeding to dismount the horse on his own. "If the guardians are awake, they're much less likely to attack if they recognize me."

The prince couldn't argue with him so he nodded and gestured for him to follow. The two of them made their way up the steps and to the door. It stood hauntingly and neither of them seemed to want to open it, but Roman stepped forward and pushed it.

It creaked open and a gush of dusty, cold air rushed out, making the two of them cough. The princes continued inside. It was dark to say the least; the only light in the entire structure was coming from the windows that were scattered in such a way that it didn't illuminate any room entirely. Roman snapped his fingers, creating a fire ball to hover over their shoulders, allowing them to see.

Once he did so, they came face to face with five large creatures.