Chapter Three

"Where did you get that?" Roman whispered, glaring down at the masked person. There was the sound of people entering the balcony behind him as the kings along with Luis and Thorn rushed to the scene. The prince pulled the masked person to their feet, shoving them against the wall of the palace. "Where did you get that?!"

"Roman, what's going on?" his father questioned, concern and authority in his voice as they approached him.

The prince couldn't think straight, growling as he spat out his words. "Whoever this bastard is has Virgil's necklace!" he snapped. "Where did you get it?! Answer me!!"

King Patton waved his hands, magically knocking out the assassin as they pulled Roman back. The assassin's head lolled to the side as they slumped against the railing. The prince was struggling against the arms of Luis and Logan, trying to get to them. Patton turned to the prince with a stern but sympathetic tone. "Roman, you need to calm down, it's not his. It's your grieving mind playing tricks on you."

"Luis! You can't look me in the eye and tell me that's not his!" he cried, tears springing to his eyes as he looked at the necklace still around the mystery person's neck.

The younger prince looked fearful and worried, but took a long look at the piece of jewelry. His hands flew to his mouth as he stepped away from the unconscious person. His father looked at him in shock and concern. "Luis-"

"It's his! I know it is!" Roman yelled as his younger brother nodded quickly in agreement, not looking at any of them.

"Logan, can you and Thorn take this person back into the castle?" King Patton asked, rubbing his temples. "Bind him in a room and wait for us. We'll be joining you shortly."

Prince Roman had fallen to his knees as tears ran down his face. Luis had joined him, hugging him tightly as he too cried. "I-I know it's his! It's Virgil's!" he wailed, his senses all shutting down as images of that necklace and the boy he loved flashed through his mind.

Patton felt his own throat close up as he knelt down, pulling both princes into a hug. They stayed like that for a few minutes, Roman rambling on about how it was Virgil's necklace and gradually getting quieter. Even after he'd stopped, the king held on to him and Luis. "I miss him too, Roman," Patton said gently. "Not a day has gone by that I don't think about him or what I could've done differently. I understand that you're in unimaginable pain, but we have to remain calm in situations like this. If you and Luis both say that necklace was his, we are going to look into it while we interrogate them for their intentions here. It's going to be okay, Roman."

The prince nodded shakily against the king's chest, grateful for a father figure who was more experienced with emotions than his own.

The three of them stood up, Roman shaking and swaying a little on his feet. Luis immediately steadied him with a hand on his shoulder. He gave him a thankful look as they began walking back into the palace. Patton led them to a small room, revealing Logan and Thorn to be waiting inside, watching the masked person as they sat bound and unconscious in a chair.

"They should be waking up any minute now," Logan informed them, eyeing his son with concern though he was avoiding looking at anyone. There was suddenly the sound of footsteps and yelling coming down the hallway. The kings both sighed heavily. "Just one year, I'd like to get through this damn celebration without having to address a hysterical crowd of royals."

Patton nodded in agreement with a slight smile as he offered a hand. "Well, that's not this year, sweetheart," he said with a shrug as they headed out of the room. "We'll be back in a few moments once we've explained what's happening to the guests."

The younger royals all nodded as they exited the room, a tense silence coating the air and making it uncomfortable to breathe. "You really think it's his?" Thorn asked, voice cautious.

Roman stared at the necklace around the unconscious person's neck, nodding firmly. "I was the one who gave it to him," he muttered. "I know it's his..."

Luis nodded in agreement, looking incredibly uncomfortable and backing away from the person slowly. He didn't want to be near the piece of jewelry. With nothing of Virgil left from the incident, aside from the cape, it was easier for him to cope with him being gone. It felt more real, like he could convince himself he was really gone; with that necklace, it felt eerie and unnerving to see, especially on someone other than Virgil. He hated it, backing into the corner of the room as he fought to contain his emotions.

His fiancé noticed his discomfort, swiftly crossing the room to comfort him with a gentle voice and rubbing circles into his hand as she took it. Roman watched the interaction, feeling a sharp stab to the his chest as he recalled comforting Virgil. Though he wish he wasn't in need of comforting so often, he'd always feel a warmth in his chest whenever the dark prince smiled at him after he'd run his fingers through his hair.

The prince clenched his fists, squeezing and relaxing repeatedly in order to relax himself. He stared at the necklace, the red gem hauntingly shining in under the glow of the room.

Everyone jumped as they heard a knock. The kings entered the room again. "Have they woken up?" Logan asked.

Roman shook his head, but as he did so, the person stirred. All eyes turned to them as their eyes fluttered open. They didn't try to struggle upon realizing they were bound, staying silent as they looked at the people in front of them. 

"We're going to ask you some questions," King Logan told them, sitting down in the chair across from them. "What are you doing here? What were your intentions at the party?"

They didn't respond, just staring at him. "What's your name? Who are you working for?" he continued. The assassin still didn't respond to the questions. They were simply glaring at the king, as though they didn't feel anything for him. There wasn't hatred or dislike, simply nothing. Stony indifference that chilled Roman's heart. 

"Take off the mask," Thorn suggested, leading to King Patton approach them and pull off the mask.