ordinary (prologue)

__________
вe ғree
_________

➖➖➖➖➖➰➖➖➖➖➖

P R O L O G U E

~L A N D R Y~

➖➖➖➖➖➰➖➖➖➖➖

My eyes gaze out the window as I play with my fingers, the simple glass barrier trapping me inside. I turn my attention to the open book in my lap, my legs crossed creating an uneven surface for it. Pursing my lips, I think about the moments where my life was like the book.

Life was ordinary. Completely normal to the point where only waking up in the morning is my only problem in life. However, as I balance everything, one side seems to be missing, while the other topples down with the weight it carries.

Waking up in the morning wasn't even a problem. Before being stuck in meaningless therapy, I woke up late, got ready, and headed to private school. Grades weren't a burden either. I would always do my work and could very well be considered the nerd of the school. But we all have our sassy moments- I wasn't an angel.

My thoughts were interrupted as I hear someone walking through the door. It closes with a stutter, as if the door was too big for the doorway.

"You all done love?" I turn my head to see a young woman walking up to me, hands folded in front of her with a kind smile on her face.

I hand her the book I wasn't even reading and force a smile. She takes the book and places it inside her scrub, smiling back at me once she puts it inside safely.

"Doctor Caleb would like to speak with you. Do you need guidance to his office?" I pull myself up from my chair and shake my head, keeping a forced smile on my face.

"I'm good, thank you."

I push open the door she entered in from earlier and turn left, walking past the receptionist and into the main office. I don't even bother knocking, walking right in, only to see my mother sitting on one of the chairs.

I scrunch my eyebrows together. "Caleb?" I plop down on one of the leather chair and face my mother, who turns upon my arrival.

"Yes, he's here, he just needed to get your file." She smiles at me. "How are you feeling?"

"You know I always feel fine. I'm not depressed and I'm pretty sure we can both agree on that. School wasn't stressing me out and it made me happy enough.."

I mumble the last part and turn to face forward just as the therapist came through his door. "Ah Landry, glad you came. Listen, I have some very good news for the both of you."

"Landry, based on your progress, I've concluded that you indeed don't necessarily have a depressive disorder nor BPD. You simply were just depressed from a previous event in your life or just depressed in general. So, as a result, your mother and I decided to allow you to attend the university you've been accepted to as a result of you excellent grades throughout high school while you've been here."

I turn my head towards my mother, my eyebrows raised to see if this is true. She nods and smiles. I reluctantly nod back, taking a piece of gum from my pocket and throwing it in my mouth.

"When am I allowed to go?"

"Well, actually, you can start as early as January. You need to wait till the new term starts. Your mother has decided to move so you can commute close to the school."

I stand up and smile slightly, the first time in a while now that I'm getting out of here. "Awesome, thank you Doctor." I turn to my mom and signal to leave. She holds up her hand and motions for me to go sit down outside.

"I'll be a minute Landry, let me just thank him privately first." I hold out a thumbs up before walking out of the room, sitting down on one of the chairs in the waiting room and taking out my phone, tapping the screen in peace without having to come back here again.

XxXxXxX