Chapter 10

Me and Luke were skateboarding down a bridge holding each other's hand.
I said, "Nathan and I use to do this all the time. He started getting so fantastic at skateboard tricks and then I was just really devastated because he was better than me."

Luke laughed as he and I continued skating.
He said, "Nathan is still the same because I saw a skateboard in his room when I first moved in."

I nodded, "Oh yeah. But what I really miss is running into his room to wake him up at 6am just before the sun came up, so we could skateboard down this bridge holding hands and just watched the sun rise."

Luke smiled, "Your relationship with your brother is something I really admire Gabrielle." I stopped skating with him and I walked over to the edge of the bridge. I looked out at the water.

"Nathan and I would also do this. We would talk about our fears and our wishes. He never feared going to jail because he never thought he would."

"He isn't going to jail Gabrielle."

"I just am worried for him Luke."
Luke pulled me into his arms.
He whispered, "Trust me. Things will be okay Gabrielle."

A few hours passed and we were able to bring Nathan home.

We walked him into the house with his crutches. I sat him down on the couch.
"Here, I'm going to go heat up some chicken noodle soup like I promised you."
I smiled and went into the kitchen.

Luke helped Nathan lay down across the couch. He grabbed a pillow and helped Nathan elevate his broken leg.
Nathan asked, "Any signs of Thomas coming by lately?"

Luke laughed, "Nah. You're goddess of a sister took care of it last time he showed up."

Nathan scoffed, "She better be treated like a goddess."

"She is. Listen Nathan....we gotta talk about the drugs and alcohol they found in car after the accident. I know Gabrielle doesn't want to have that conversation with you. So tell me. Alright? Brother to ....brother?"

Nathan exhaled, "The drugs and stuff weren't mine. Alright? They already arrested the people who did it. They had every pee in a cup and I had none in my system."

Luke smiled, "That's amazing. Gabrielle is going to be so happy."

Nathan asked, "What? Did she not think I would be a good kid and not do it too?"
Luke shrugged his shoulders. He went into the kitchen to see me cooking the chicken noodle soup.

Luke smiled, "You will never believe what just happened in there."
I turned around with tears in my eyes.
He continued, "They already took everyone to jail. Nathan said they all were made to take a pee test and Nathan had none in his system."

I started smiling. I gasped, "What?! Oh my god!" I jumped into Luke's arms. He hugged me tightly. I cried, "He's going to be okay."

The sun went down a few hours later. The doorbell rung. I went to go open it.
Stella said, "Hi. I heard Nathan was released today. Luke texted me. Is he okay?"

I let Stella in.
"Thank you Stella for everything. I really don't know what I would've done if you didn't tell me what happened."

Stella walked into the living room. She looked around. "Where is Luke?"

I pointed at the ceiling. "He's taking a shower."
Stella shifted her eyes over to the couch.
She smiled, "Nathan seems to be comfortable back at home."

I nodded my head. "He has pain pills he needs to take soon. It was unbelievable that he only broke his leg."

Stella turned to me. She whispered, "Luke is a really good guy."