23

Dad carries Fangs across the entrance into the hospital while he clings onto his stomach

"Help us!" Jughead shouts as we rush into the waiting room. 

"We need a doctor!" 

Jughead goes over to the receptionist at the front desk, "Ma'am." 

"I need you to wait your turn please." She doesn't even look up. 

"He was shot." Jughead tells her. 

"I need you to step-" 

Jughead slams his fist onto the counter, "He's dying!" 

"What's going on here?" The doctor comes up to us. 

"My friend was shot right in the stomach." Jughead explains. 

"Hey, get me a gurney." The doctor tell the nurses standing by. 

The lift Fangs onto the gurney and he groans in agony. The wheel him off into a room down the hall and Jughead starts heading toward the exit to leave. 

"Where do you think you're going?" Dad asks as we go after him. 

"To find the guy that shot Fangs." Jughead says. 

"You're not going out there, not with people rioting." Dad tries to pull him but Jughead just shrugs him off. 

"You're angry, you want justice so do I." Dad grabs him and steps in front of the doors. "But, you've got a fallen soldier here, boy and we've got to talk to his family. That's part of being a leader." 

"Some leader I am." Jughead says. 

"Don't go down that road, come on." Dad says softly. 

"Hey." I grab Jughead's arm and make him look at me. I grab his pinky in mine and pull our hands up into his line of sight. "We gotta do this, together." 

I feel him squeeze my finger as he nods and we all walk back into the waiting room. 

.....................................

I pace back and forth in the waiting room after I hang up my phone for what seems like a hundred times. I've called Toni and Sweet Pea but neither of them are answering their phones. After the fight broke out everyone got seperated. 

"Excuse me, ma'am." Jughead stops a nurse, "How's Fangs Fogarty?" 

I step over to them so I can hear her better, "He's still in surgery." 

Sheriff Minetta walks into the waiting room, "I wanna talk to him when he wakes up." He says to the nurse. 

"Sheriff Minetta, shouldn't you be look for who shot Fangs?" Jughead questions him. 

"There's already a manhunt underway. Your little Serpent friends aren't making it easy though, riot carousing, terrorizing the neighborhood. Already arrested a few." Sheriff Minetta.