Bonus Chapter

I watch myself in the mirror as I mess with my hair, trying to make sure it looks perfect

I watch myself in the mirror as I mess with my hair, trying to make sure it looks perfect. I'm mostly trying to keep myself calm. I don't know why I'm so nervous.

"Will you stop fussing, you look beautiful." I see my Mom walk in through the reflection in the mirror. "Come on, this is prom not your wedding." She grabs my hand and sits me down on the bed with her. She pushes my hair back, "Now, tell me about this boy, I don't know anything about him."

"Can't know much about someone you've never met." It comes out harsher than I meant it to sound but it's true. She's never met Sweet Pea and everytime the chance comes up she bails. It's something she's good at.

"How many times do I have to apologize, Stevie?" She asks disgruntled.

"You can't just apologize for leaving and think everything is gonna be okay." I grab at the necklace around my neck to try and calm myself down.

"I know it won't, but I didn't know what else to do. I couldn't have your sister around that lifestyle your father was living and you and your brother refused to go with us." She says sadly. "I regret not forcing you to go with me, I do. If I had maybe things would be different."

"Mom, the Serpents are not the problem here. The Serpents we're there for Jug and I when you weren't." I stand up from the bed and put my back to her.

I hear her sigh, "You're right, I'm sorry." She hugs me from behind and rests her head on my shoulder. "Will you please tell me about this boy?" She pouts her lip at me and I roll my eyes.

"Fine," We sit back down on the bed, "What do you want to know?"

"Well, everything. How did you meet? When did you start dating? What is he like? Is he nice to you? Is he a Serpent too? Have you had sex?" She asks.

"Mom, slow down."

"Sorry."

"We meet at Southside High. After Christmas. Yes, he's nice to me. Yes, he's a Serpent. And I'm not answering that." I grimace at her.

"So, that means you have had sex." She says.

"Mom!" I groan.

"What? I just want to make sure you're being safe." She says and I roll my eyes.