Chapter 1 » Part One : Blue

PART ONE : BLUE

My day so far has consisted of packing bags and panicking. Most of my things were already in boxes at the new house, although some bags are still sitting on the front porch ready to be shipped to the new house. All I had on me at the moment was a small backpack that had all the airport essentials I would need for later today. My best friend Matthew came over this morning to help cope with me moving across the country, but just a few hours in the morning isn't enough for my departure.

Matthew and I have been friends for who knows how long. We first met in third grade, after his family moved a couple houses down the street. We had little classes together, but grew much closer in middle school. However, our plans on graduating together from Pierpoint High got demolished after the disappearance of my family.

The case is a mystery that is still unsolved. It happened just a few weeks ago after school, in fact. I remember the panic I felt when I returned home late after school after staying at a friend's house, shocked that the house was empty. I waited it out a few days and called all their phones, but it just went to voicemail. I eventually called the police, and they still don't know what happened to my parents or my older sister, Iris. Without any family here in Maine with me, I'm being forced to move across the country to live with my "godparents" in California. Since I'm barely a junior in high school, I'm economically and emotionally unable to live here in the house alone.

"Remember when we were playing tag and I tripped down these stairs and broke my nose?" Matthew chuckled as he ran his hand up and down the railing of the wooden stairs. I smiled back and a chuckle broke out from me as well.

"You cried so hard," I laughed at him, running up to the stairs with him.

"Well obviously it hurt, Blue." He playfully punched me in the shoulder.

Despite the three hour time difference, we both still planned to keep in touch no matter what. Through Skypes, phone calls, emails, anything to keep our friendship going.

"So how's your new family like?" He asked to pass the time. He jogged down the stairs really quick and I sped up to join him outside on the porch.

"I don't know," I said sitting down next to him. "Never met them before."

It was silent for a little bit as the swirling winds above us blew around on this chilly November day. I hugged the straps of my backpack and started to kick at the dusty gravel, looking up every so now to check if the car was here yet."

"Once you turn eighteen you can move back," he said slowly to me. "That wouldn't be too bad."

I thought about it for a second. "Or you could move to California. You're always complaining about how cold it is here, and I heard it's really warm there."

"Maybe," he laughed as he messed with his hair.

We immediately got up when a red car drove up to the drive way, rushing out of the way before we got run over.

"So this is it," he sighed grabbing my bags.

We silently walked over to the car and set my bags into the open trunk. I looked back at him as he slammed the trunk closed. He immediately wrapped his arms around me and I did the same to him.

"I'll miss you," he said in my hair.

"Don't forget about me, ok?" I broke the hug and we stood back looking at each other for a bit till the car honked at us.

"Never," he smiled one last time as he led me to the side of the car. He opened the door and waited till I got inside before closing it and returning to the porch. Standing there until the car drove away, he disappeared back into the house, probably to help pack for the estate sale later.