Chapter 18

"Blue, get ready, we're coming to your house in ten minutes."

I rubbed my eyes, popping my retainer out as I squeezed my shoulder to my phone to keep it in place.

"Venice, it's six in the morning," I sighed.

"Come on! The Winter Ball is today, and we all thought it would be a nice idea to get something to eat before school."

"But-"

"I don't care if we have to drag you down your driveway, you're coming." I stumbled out of the bathroom as the line went dead.

Shuffling through my closet, I couldn't stop thinking about the reoccurring nightmare that has been bugging me for the past week. It's always the same thing; standing frozen on the front porch as I watched my family drive away to who-knows-where. I can't do anything to stop it, and I don't want to talk about it to anyone. I guess the only person who'd understand would be Matthew. But he hasn't been returning my calls or texts.

I stuff the notebooks that are laying on my desk back into my backpack, tugging on the string of my hoodie as I silently move down the stairs.

Leaving a note on the door so that the others wouldn't get worried, I slip outside to find Mama Mongelli's mini-van sitting outside.

"Glad you could make it," Venice winked at me as I hopped into the backseat.

Nate was absent, as usual. He's been hanging out with Lindsey full-time all of a sudden, completely ignoring all of his other friends. I don't even want to think about all the things they've been doing outside of the cafeteria.

-

Jesse yawns next to me as Gale pulls into the parking lot of the breakfast place. It's 6:18, meaning we have about forty minutes to eat and chill before going to campus.

"Why didn't we just go to iHop or something?" I whispered to Gale as we walked through the doors.

"Because Looper is cheaper," he shrugged.

There were very few people in the diner, most of them being chatty elderly women. A waiter with a bright smile directs us to a large booth in the back and hands us all menus. He rubs Venice's back before leaving, her giving him the 'fuck off' face behind his back in response.

"Have you eaten here before?" I asked Jesse as I looked through the laminated sheet.

"A couple times with Nate. I usually just get the blueberry waffles," he said.

"Hmm," I nodded as I was getting mesmerized by all the topping options.

All of a sudden, a loud squeal rang through the room. I lowered my menu and looked up to see the Fabs making their way over to us.

"CAN WE SIT WITH YOU GUYS?" Lindsey screeched, trying to slide into the spot next to Farrell.

"What the fuck, get out-"

"Thanks, you guys are so kind!" Macy chattered, hopping over Farrell's lap and separating him from America. London was the last to file in, politely asking Lindsey to scoot over to make some room for her.

"I swear, we had no idea you guys would be here!" Lindsey chirped eagerly.

"No idea," Macy repeated.

"Such a coincidence," Lindsey giggled again, reaching for her cell phone.

Just before anyone could say anything to try and shoo them away, a young waitress with deep red hair and dark bags under her eyes approaches our table.