Chapter 2

My eyes flew open the same time as my door, the breeze flying roughly at my bed.

"Better hurry!" An obnoxious male voice rang out. I'm not sure which Grant boy's it was, they all sound the same.

Looking at the digital clock on my bedside table, I notice I don't have much time left before school starts. Immediately I shoot out of bed and slide to the bathroom, brushing my teeth and trying my best to tame my long brown locks. I've broken many hair brushes in the past while attempting to untangle my hair, so I'm being rather careful now. I walk over to my closet and peer inside, not sure of what to pick for my first day. Since it's already November I'll be entering late, which means I'll have to make myself look somewhat presentable to my new peers. Grabbing a pair of tight jeans and a brown knitted sweater, I quickly slip them on and throw my pajamas onto the bed.

"Oh crap.." I gasped to myself realizing the door had been opened the whole time. Walking around to the door, I sigh in relief as to see all the Grant kids have already gone downstairs. Note to self, always lock the door from now on.

I walk over to my desk and look at the mess of cosmetics I've thrown onto it from yesterday. I don't wear much makeup, but since I'm running a bit late I just curl my eyelashes and quickly rub on some lip balm. I grab a body splash and spray it onto my neck, inhaling the tropical scent. Grabbing my backpack and slinging it onto my shoulder, I walk out stopping every few steps to roll my socks on and skip down the stairs.

"You're looking nice this morning." Hazel greeted me at the kitchen counter and slid over a pop tart over to me.

"So are you," I winked at her, noticing the waves in her hair from the braid the day before. Taking a seat next to her while the boys are at the small table, Hazel's talkative personality continues to chatter on.

"Don't worry all the teachers are totally nice, and I'm sure you'll make lots of friends. I don't think you've missed too much.. You'll be able to catch up real soon." I spaced out as she started talking about boys and gossip, nodding every few seconds as I continue to take bites out of my breakfast.

"Ooh it's time to go now!" She nudged me in the shoulder hard enough to send me spinning on my chair and gripping onto the counter for support.

Being a typical girly girl, she's flaunting around the kitchen in a short shirt and crop top, her book bag slung across her body. I hop off my chair and adjust my straps before slamming my feet into my Chuck Taylors at the door and heading out with the rest of the kids.

"It's a tight squeeze in the backseat but you're skinny, I'm sure you'll fit." Cameron steps in front of me and raises the remote to unlock his red truck.

Austin climbs in first, sitting in the passenger seat. Carter gets in on the left side and Hazel gets in through the right, moving over to the middle so that I would fit on the side.

"I wanted to sit next to Blue," Carter sighed to himself. I look over at him and he shoots me back a glance, biting his bottom lip and nodding in my direction.

"Gross, get outta here." Hazel knocked him in the head to shut him up, Austin stifling a laugh from the front.

The drive to the school took a mere five minutes. Pulling into a spot up front, Cameron stops the car and retrieves the set of keys from the ignition, waiting for us to all exit before locking the car and heading in his own direction.

"I'll take you to the office so you can get your schedule, and then you can just go to your classes like normal." Hazel chattered mindlessly on the way to the office.

The walk there let me take a better look around the campus. Rather than the school being one large building, the classrooms are branched out sort of like web with faded numbers painted on the doors. The scenery is nice, there are lots of flowers and trees spread around to fill in any empty space. In front of the office, there's a metallic statue of a feline animal in a pounce position. Next to it is a sign that looks like its been around for ages with the words "Welcome to Riverside High School, home of the mountain lions."