Chapter 5

A loud knock hits my door and transports me back into the real world. I shoot up quickly, my body confused by what is happening. After about ten seconds, the knocks continue outside and I rub the gunk out of my eyes to check the time. 6:38.

When the knocks keep rolling in, I roll out from under my quilt. I look down at myself-I'm still wearing the same outfit I wore yesterday. What the hell did I do last night? All I remember is walking Jesse and the twins to the door and returning back to my room. I guess I passed out.

The knocks turn into bangs, and when I open the door I have to duck out of the way before Cameron's fist slams into my forehead.

"What?" I squinted at him. "It's fricking six in the morning. I need my Sunday rest."

I still hear people downstairs. How long do these parties last?

He sighed. "Listen, Ashe needs some clothes, someone stole hers while she was in the pool."

I raised my eyebrow. "Well, there's Hazel?" I try to close the door but his stupid hand pushes it back open.

"You're taller than she is, Ashe wouldn't fit into her clothes."

"I don't think you understand how female clothes work. She's skinny, Hazel's skinny-"

"You're skinny..."

He pushed me out of the way and stormed into the room.

"Jesus, Cameron, calm down."

He moved to my closet and started shuffling through all my clothes.

"I'll find something, just back off." I don't want him to find any of my 'feminine products'.

He moves out of the way and then looks at the back of my sweatshirt. I hear his feet shuffling along the floor and he leaves the room. I don't want Ashe messing any of my good clothes, so I rummage into the very back of my closet to find all my baggy ones. Cameron enters the room the same time that I spin around with some old PE shorts and an outstretched Long Sand Beach t shirt.

Cameron holds up a maroon sweatshirt and holds it out in front of me.

"Much better," he said.

I hand him the clothes I picked out for Ashe and he gives me the sweatshirt. I raise my arms out to examine it. On the front it says Riverside High in underlined letters. Under it on the right has the word football in cursive. I flip it around and it says Grant with a big 1 under it.

"It's a size small and it doesn't fit me anymore. I'd give it to Hazel but she says she doesn't want it."

"I can't take this." I shook my head. "Besides, I'm not even a Grant." Also, Ashe would probably kill me if she sees me wearing it.

"Nah, you passed the first week's initiation living here, we're practically family now. Besides, you gotta rep the team. This isn't Pierpoint, anymore." He turns to leave, but then stops by the door to look at some picture frames I had hung up earlier.

"Is that your sister?" He asked me.

He points to a picture of my sister and I sitting on the grass behind Pierpoint's campus. It's a polaroid picture taken by Iris' friend. I remember it was the day after my birthday last year. We didn't get to take another one on my birthday this year. It was nine days ago, four days after the disappearance. I spent my birthday alone in my room eating two tubs of Ben and Jerry's ice cream while watching all eight Harry Potter movies.

"Yeah. Her name is Iris. She's your age."

"She's pretty. She looks a lot like you, too." I always see a part of her in me whenever I look into the mirror. Like our eyes, or the shape of our noses. Although, she used to wear a silver nose ring, something I don't have...yet.