Chapter 6

My day went on as usual. Jesse dropped me off in front of my house and I waved goodbye to him and America in the backseat. I walked in and said hello to Cameron who was still sitting in the living room watching cartoons in the dark. I slipped past Carter upstairs and went into my bathroom to go brush my teeth and get ready for bed. I asked Hazel what song track twelve was, and she confirmed it was called Black Beauty. I knew it.

I turned off my light and dove under my quilt, tossing and turning till I fell asleep. Lindsey stayed on my mind the whole night, and so did that teacher. Was he young? Was he old? What made them decide to get on top of that desk together? Why did she record it? Questions flooded my mind inside out. Jesse told me the incident was published in newspapers. More information on this had to be online somewhere. Maybe I'll look into it later.

The next morning I did my usual routine of washing myself up and picking out an outfit. Cameron swooped into my room and reminded me to wear the sweatshirt he gave me so I did. It fits well on my tall statured body. I tied my hair up so that it would show the name on the back.

Hazel greeted me as usual at the countertop with her Trix cereal, passing another bowl to me. Even though I wasn't hungry I ate it, since I didn't want to waste any food. Cameron drove us to school and we parked in the same spot in the front as we always did. Ashe greeted Cameron when he got out, Hazel and Austin making another Bitchley remark.

I proceeded with my classes as usual. I joined Oscar in homeroom at the back. I've grown a liking to him, he's an interesting guy. I overheard a couple of girls in the front whispering about my shirt. I should've kept my hair down.

-

Lindsey was holding up a compact mirror and applying layers of mascara and lipstick, then repeating the cycle all over again. She lowered the mirror and tilted her head to the side.

"Blue!" She shook her side of the desk against mine, shifting me out of my daydream. I tried to keep a straight face and forced the disgusted look I wanted to give her down.

"Lindsey," Jack sighed. He grabbed the eraser and attacked the part where Lindsey had made his pencil go flying. Ms. Bane gave us another worksheet, and Lindsey is making him do hers.

"Blue, is that a real Grant football shirt you're wearing?" She asked me.

I slowly nodded. "And?"

"Two questions. One, where did you get that. Two, CAN I SMELL IT?" Her sudden raise of voice startled both Jack and I.

I sigh. I really don't want to start telling people my backstory out of the blue.

"Well. One, he gave it to me. And two, no."

"Wait, what?" Jack's head bobbed up as he reached a hand out to adjust his glasses. "The God himself just gave it to you? What the hell, where was I when this happened? I happen to be part of the football team fan club."

"Yeah right," Lindsey snorted. "You're too involved with Nate to be over Cam like I am."

I looked back down at my paper as the two in front of me continued to bicker. They argued the rest of the period about all the boys on the team, and when the bell rang I quickly shuffled out of my seat and left my quadratic equation worksheet in the basket by the door.

In English we had Grammar Monday. I paired up with Nate and the girl I recognized with the pudgy tummy from the party. Her beach, blonde hair was stained green on the tips. I suspect it was from the chlorine. Mr. Foxe brought out boards of Scrabble for us and told us the objective was to create five different adjectives that described him. I chose egotistic, Nate chose bald, and the girl chose psychotic. But then we quickly swept them off the board once he came over to our side, and laid down tall and bold instead. He gave us star stickers.