Chapter 12

Hazel sat in my wheelie chair, spinning in wild circles around the room at eight in the morning. I never sleep, she says. I don't need sleep, she says. I love to sleep, she says. What a spaz.

"I'm not leaving till you tell me about your date," she pestered, leaning her head back and spinning around even faster. Just watching her makes me nauseous, I don't know how she's handling her insides right now.

"But it's so damn early," I groaned. Sure, I was and am still excited about the date last night. And sure, I stayed up all night with tingles shooting up my body thinking about the kiss. But damn, 8:27 on a Saturday is too early for me to function.

"Pleaaase," she begged again, bumping into the foot of the bed with the chair.

"Fine," I sighed. "We just went out to Buca Di Beppo, ate dinner, talked a lot, drove back home.." I lowered my voice significantly. "And we might've kissed on the doorstep."

"OH MY GOD." Hazel threw her legs down to stop the chair from spinning, then pushing it over to my desk. She slapped her hand around the objects on the table till she discovered my binder, pulling out a piece of paper and a pen, then getting up and heading to the door.

"Where are going?" I asked, rubbing my eyes.

"TO PLAN THE WEDDING," she announced, the door to her room slamming behind her.

-

Jesse arrived to work on the project at exactly 4:30. I didn't really have anything to feed him, so I arranged crackers into a smiley face on a plate and offered it to him. I took him to my room, pushing past Carter's big mouth as I shoved him into the bathroom and shut the door on himself.

Jesse unrolled the poster paper we bought at Target and set it down in the back corner of my room where there was the most ground space. I sprinkled markers everywhere on the floor and set the scrapbooking paper next to it, going back around my bed to get my laptop so that we could pull up information. Who has time to resort back to notes when there's Google?

We sat there staring at the blank poster for a while until Jesse grabbed the laptop off my lap and typed in Lincoln vs Davis venn diagram. And sure enough many results came up. We chose a website that listed a comparison chart instead, not wanting to deal with 'plagiarism issues'.

I didn't have any protractors to make the venn diagram circles out of, so I took the smiling plate and dumped all the crackers into Jesse's hand, using the back of the plate to trace two perfectly round circles while Jesse was pretty much forced to sit there and stuff the crackers into his mouth. We ruled out that I had the best handwriting out of us two, and so I chose random facts and wrote them all down. Jesse grabbed the scissors and started cutting out Lincoln's top hat and beard out of the dark construction paper, reaching over me to then grab the flesh toned one for his skin. I moved out of the way for him to glue down his little masterpiece while I started on Davis' side.

"Did you know Lindsey didn't know who either of these guys were?" I said.

"She's a person of rare intelligence. It's rare when she shows any," he huffed, swatting off a particle of dust that landed on Davis' bow tie.

We ended up finishing the project in about an hour and a half. Not too bad. Jesse told me to meet him at the football stadium at eight. Again.

"Why?" I asked, holding the door open.

"Don't ask any questions, just trust me." He swooped in real quick and pecked me on the cheek before heading down the steps and to his car.

"What the hell," I scoffed as I shut the door behind him.