Chapter 4

I am awoken from my peaceful slumber by my blaring alarm clock. I set it for 8:15 but it always goes off five minutes after. I'll have to buy a new one.

I look over to where my nightstand is and see a folded up piece of paper. I prop myself up with my elbow and rest against it as I reach over with my other arm to shut off the alarm, then to pick up the paper. I unfold it, then hold it up higher so I can read it better.

I heard about what happened. Sorry about my son's teenage boy hormones. He thinks he's too cool with the ladies.

-Glenn

I flip the paper over.

Sorry about my hormones. And also sorry I pulled you into the pool with me. I can't help it if you're hot.

-Carter

Gross.

As I walk to the bathroom I can hear the loud music coming from the other room. Hazel always sets her stereo on the maximum volume, the sound seeping through the paper thin walls.

I splash some water on my face and brush my teeth as best I can. I recently got my braces off, meaning I can finally brush freely now. I settle with wearing jean shorts and my gray Pierpoint High sweatshirt. There are two ram's horns printed on the back. I spray on some more body splash before grabbing my phone from its charger and skipping down the stairs to the kitchen. I also made sure to lock my door in case Carter comes creeping.

It's 8:32 now. Carter is slumped against a chair with an ice pack over his eye and Hazel's crouched over the kitchen counter spooning cereal into her mouth. Austin is standing at the sink appearing to be washing another ice pack.

"Hey." Hazel patted the stool next to her and I join her. I pick off some green grapes sitting in a bowl in front of us and pop them into my mouth.

"So what's up with him?" I look over my shoulder at Carter who's getting another ice pack from Austin. He lays back in his chair and sighs.

"His eyes look bloodshot. The chlorine really burned through them. Cameron's put him on toilet duty now, so next time we do chores I'll be outside with you." She smiled at herself and I let out a breath of relief.

Cameron is already at the school, so we have to walk there. Both the boys are zooming in front on their boards, but since I don't have one, Hazel's is hanging under her arm as she walks beside me.

"Have you met Ashe yet?" She asked me.

"Yes, we have Study Hall together-"

"God, I hate her."

I laughed a little too loud.

"Seriously, she's annoying. Austin and I have a special nickname for her; Bitchley." She scrunched her nose as if mentioning the nickname put a foul taste on her tongue.

"Is she Cameron's girlfriend?" I asked.

"Hah, she wishes!" Hazel clapped wildly. "Never. Cameron just likes her because she has a big boobs."

"Ew."

"She's coming to the pool party, we'll have to see her in a bikini." She rolled her eyes.

When we enter campus, the lot is almost empty. Hazel spots her friends the same time as I see Jesse standing by the concession stand, and we both depart our separate ways. I smooth the front of my sweatshirt down as near him.

His eyes rake up and down my shirt.

"Wrong team," he said jokingly. He handed me a paper bowl filled with nachos and a napkin, the same in his other hand. How did he know I was coming?