Chapter 21

The rhythmic patter of footsteps sound as Gale and I walked down the corridor to get to America's room, trays in our hands filled with coffee and small saltine crackers we stole from the samples section in the hospital café.

"Wait, I got this," Gale heaved as he lifted his foot up to the door. With one sharp kick downwards, he was able to turn the doorknob and swing the door open.

"I SMELL FOOD," America growled intensely, her body lifting up off the bed before sputtering out a pained groan.

"Easy now, you're going to hurt yourself," Farrell cooed as he helped her helped her lie down again. He reached one arm around the back of her head and proceeded to fluff up her pillow.

"Thought she wasn't supposed to wake up for another half an hour," I muttered as I set my tray down onto the nightstand. Gale walked over and placed his next to mine.

"Yeah, Jack was the one who woke her up. He bopped her right in the forehead trying to reach the TV remote," Venice scoffed,

"I don't get why I'm always the victim here." Jack crossed his arms and pouted before turning back towards the small TV screen.

I laugh to myself as I begin to pass the cups of coffee around. Gale brings his over to the small chaise and curls up into a ball, placing the cup next to his check for warmth. I stop when I notice there are two extra cups left.

"Hey, what happened to Jesse and Nate?" I say slowly, looking around the room.

Venice and Jack look at each other hesitantly before speaking up.

"Jesse got a phone call from his mom saying he had to leave early and um, Nate left for some business with Lindsey..."

"Jeez, Venice, when you put it like that you make it sound like Nate's a male prostitute who went to go meet up with one of his many clients," Jack spat.

"Oh please, I think we all know that if he was actually a prostitute, you'd be his number one customer-"

"You guys," I said, cutting off Venice from her rant. "You didn't even try to stop them? God, I didn't even get to say goodbye to Jesse either and-"

My phone beeps from my pocket, distracting me from what I was talking about. I reach down to check what it reads and sighs.

"I um, have to go now. Aubree's waiting for me in the parking lot."

"Remember, if you get eaten by a bear, I get your laptop," Gale says, a sly smile forming on the corners of his lips. Something tells me he's got a guy dressed up in a bear costume waiting to demolish me.

I ignore him and walk over to America, giving her a few pats on her cast.

"Ow."

"Sorry."

"It's alright."

"Get well soon, kiddo," I say, dismissing the group one last time as I shut the door behind me.

-

"What's that?" Carter asked the second I opened the door to the mini van. I held my cup up higher as I squeezed past him to get to the back row. Unfortunately for me, the only free seat was the one between Cameron and Austin. Fortunately for me, I didn't have to sit next to Carter for the next few hours.

"Coffee," I replied hastily as I tried to find my seatbelt. I eventually found the buckle and weaved it over my body and into the clasp below.

"Ooh, can I have some-"

"No."

"Why not?" He pouted.

"No," I said again, taking a sip to rub it in his face.

He huffed and turned back around in his seat.

-

"Wake up, bitch." I jolted up from the impact of a duffel bag hitting my chest, bending over and coughing out particles of my coffee. I looked up to see Austin standing between the two seats in front of me. I shook my head and huffed out some air, throwing the bag back at him.

"Who're you calling a bitch, bitch?" I pushed past him and stepped out of the van and onto the Grant's driveway. Austin hopped out behind me, slinging the duffel bag onto my arm.

"Why are we home, I thought we were going on the camping trip-"

"Hazel had an allergic reaction to something she ate," Cameron explained, emerging from the other side of the car.

I rubbed my eyes, shaking my head. "What, no, why, aw," I sputtered out. "Where is she now?"

"Some hospital," Austin shrugged, grabbing two more bags from the trunk. The wind made his hair stick up in ten different directions. "Her throat closed up so we had to drive back and check her in."

How great, now I have two hospitalized people to worry about.

-

this chapter was so dry I'm cringing.

anyways, apologies for the shortness and the crappiness and the waiti..ness of this chapter. I had plans but it started becoming too difficult to write so know, I had to change it up a bit. it's mainly just a filler too. but don't worry, the next chapter is going to be the start to probably my favorite part in the entire book.