Chapter 6 (Nightly Routine)

Dylan Winesten

Ivery didn't have much money left after spending it like a wife would on her husband's check for a spree. I never had very much money. In fact, I used to get loans from my buddies, but we didn't talk as much. Ivery was a bit of a handful, and most of the time I was shacked up with her in Carrie's house.

But I didn't necessarily regret it. I didn't see my friends in high school anymore after dropping out. Ivery still pecked me every morning good-bye as she headed off to my version of jail. She didn't have many friends, but she somehow grew closer to my own group of friends. The guys and I still talked on the phone, discussing over my official relationship with Ivery. The "peasantry" crowd never admitted what a lucky man I was, but I didn't have to be reminded.

Most of the students found out about Ivery and I, and Ivery's old high and mighty crowd was horrified. They claimed we were "mixing breeds". They also teased Ivery, at first. That is, now she claimed that they disowned her, eyeing her as she walked into the lunch room with my group of rowdy, dirty, immature boys. I wanted to kick their ass for the teasing, but Ivery insisted I didn't. They never dared to lay a hand on her though.

I heard Ivery's heels clack down the hardwood kitchen floor, making her way down the hall to our bedroom. As soon as she opened the door, I lept at the chance, pulling her into a rough, sudden kiss. She gasped in surprise, yet still melted into it with appreciation.

Afterwards, I expected her to look into my eyes with grace and love like she usually did. But instead her dark, amber eyes looked behind me, horror and wrath tightening on my shoulders. There was that presence. Before I even turned around to look at the hell that awaits us both, she threw me aside with a strength I didn't even know she had. (Although, she is a demon.)

Satan instantly came at her, hitting a pressure point in between her ribs, which made her drop. He then turned to me, a mischievous, Cashmere Cat grin on his face.

"Ivery seems to have her feeding under control. I mean, I have to fuck up someone's life once and for all," he spoke charismatically, his flames rising in his pupils. "That's why you're becoming one next," he said, as though it was a shame. "I do a ritual, you eat a creature's heart, and then all will be right. Except," he stepped with spunk. "You're not going to be a death demon like Ivery. There's only two kinds; the other is considered a regular demon. With a death demon, the rush of power comes easy, it's just hard to control. A normal demon's transition is excruciating."

He used his powers to bring me forward. My feet burned from friction as he gripped a hold of my face with his freezing hand.

"Now, let's see who will rip their partner's head off first."

He placed each of his paper white hands to my temples, a throbbing pain pulsing throughout my body. And it only grew more extreme by each moment.

Liberty

I glanced at Ian in embarrassment when I was going to change into pajama shorts and a t-shirt, hoping he'd look away. He officially made eye contact, his expression folding into irritation.

"You have to do that right here? You can't have the decency to go into a bathroom?" He whined.

"I was hoping you'd just look away, save me a trip," I urged, trying to persuade him to look away as I tugged at the waistband of my skinny jeans. He finally averted his eyes, pulling the blankets over his head. I rushed around to slip into my sleepwear, cautious to get into the bed next to him. But, as usual, he rolled off the mattress with his pillow and a blanket to head to the floor. "Why are you still sleeping on the floor?"