Chapter 16 (My Monster)

Carmine

I sat up in the bed in the night, the tiny wall night-light casting a shadow to Micheal's peaceful expression. I could try to escape, which he would deserve after sending the Chosen Ones to the dimensions, yet spared us each in fear. But I knew I couldn't get past him.

"Go to bed," he whispered, eyes still closed, making me jump from my daze when watching him sleep. I rebelliously watched him still rather than following his command. He looked so damn gorgeous, it wasn't even possible.

I contemplated on making moves for a while, but never acted upon it. I had to face my fear. I wasn't one to back down. I would face it head-on, otherwise I'd never get it out of the way. I laid down on my side, curling into his cold body. It instantly started to heat up.

"What are you doing?" He almost yelled, the warmth possibly an effect of anger.

"Touching you," I stated seductively, drawing his lips in close.

"Stop," he gasped, yet didn't stop himself. But then again, maybe he couldn't. I lured him in until our lips touched, as he savored our kiss like it was our last. He suddenly yanked me away, looking at me with concern, but more for himself. "You should be scared of me," he said, his deep voice almost threatening.

"But I'm not." I climbed onto him, forcing him into a rough make-out session, since he'd never start it. He seemed to have faltered, basking in the glory of affection.

"You do this to all the guys you fall for?" He interrupted breathlessly, using it as a distraction.

"Nope, guess you're special," I panted, getting close once again. "I'm a fighter, not a lover. And you're a runner, not a fighter when it actually comes to an end. But this time, I'm not letting you get away."

It was my job to turn Micheal from heartless to caring. But I didn't really have to change anything. He already felt too much deep down, and that was precisely the problem.

He gave me a good fight that night, but soon it all resolved itself when he craved what I could offer, and he took action upon it.

Liberty

We all wandered throughout the White Space, hands intertwined in line, searching for some kind of loophole. Everytime my hand found Ian's, he made every possible move to escape my grasp. I eventually gave up, taking the person's hand closest to me. I was pretty sure it was Variety.

"So," I started, guessing it was her. "Do you actually see anything in Max?" I heard her reply from the back, which must have meant I was holding hands with Opal.

"I can't say I'm in love with him, but I do believe there's something redeemable in him." Variety was one of those people that you could punch in the face for no good reason, and she'd cower and cry. On a rare occasion she would fight back.

I looked Opal's way, analyzing her without even seeing her. I could tell from her life that she was very professional, and her job meant the world to her, but mainly because she would be an addict without it, which would one day kill her.

John understood her, and he was the only one. From what I could see, Opal was actually very anti-social and in need of some kind of companion. John's death only made her more helpless, and less likely to go on living a lonely life as a lawyer, fixing everyone else's problems while leaving her's in the dust.

They probably saw me as needy and desperate. And maybe I am. But Ian's the only person I've ever truly tried to chase down, to which he made a mockery of me. Of course, if Ian was presented with happiness, he'd run the opposite way. He simply wanted to be content.