Chapter 17 (Falling Inside The Black)

Micheal

My defensive thoughts were not responding when I got close to Carmine. I did want her, more than I imagined possible. Sex was an easy way to get a piece of what I wanted, and it would be easier to get out of. But she ruined it by trying to cuddle afterwards, making my urges struggle against my common sense and my wants.

She traced her dark, slender fingers down my abs, making my heart skip beats as I strove to gain the motivation to throw her aside. I tried to remember what I am, and what it is that Devils do. They do not feel; they do not care. They strive for power and fight the toughest battles. But maybe the truth was that the biggest battle a Devil had to face was the one within their head.

I knew she was doing this on purpose. She was manipulating me physically to get me to fall for her from the kind of contact I never had. And she was right. I never had held one of my partners, and most of all they'd never hold me. I was a toy to women. I hadn't really minded it. I returned the favor, still keeping my reputation and pride. I wouldn't consider how I felt deep down; that's not what Devils do.

I felt Carmine's fingertip graze my arm, the dull aching pain following from the tenderness. I now threw her off of me, that pain rushing me back to my reality. And the worst part was the fact that she saw my arms, saw my pain. My wounds that were a window to my soul under all of the darkness that follows.

"You don't have to be afraid." She cupped my face, her legs wrapped around my waist as she kissed me. Every time she made gentle touches like that, I couldn't help but to falter. No woman I had been with was ever so caring. I tried to stop my body from the trembling, from thinking about my fear: of letting others in.

"I think I need a drink," I whimpered after gulping down my cowardliness.

"No, you don't," she whispered, her plump lips still pressed against mine. "You're scared," she knew. "You're scared of what I may do if I get a hold of your emotions." I tried to turn away, to which she easily turned my face after I had been put under her spell. "I can be your safe place, Micheal. You don't always have to run."

I closed my eyes, almost self-conscious of the flames. They were curse upon my life. Devilship is what I'm forced to follow. And with her purity, my soul could frighten her away. But at this rate, I was wrapped around her finger, and she wasn't giving up without a fight, or maybe at all.

"Micheal," she whispered again, pulling our naked bodies close. The feeling of her body against mine was what I couldn't resist. And the way she touched me was unfathomable. She knew I was becoming a sucker for her, which was exactly what she wanted. "I love you."

My mind spun at the thought, especially with the fact that she was truthful. I could feel her heartbeat against my own that didn't beat until now. Her butterfly eyelashes grazed against my cheek, as she lingered against my lips. My body felt like it was on overload, growing hotter by the second.

"That's enough," my voice quivered as a scrambled from her reach. "I will not give in to you. I won't let you in." I sounded like a scared little boy as I uncontrollably shook with the words. But the most terrifying words escaped her lips, engulfing me with such mixed emotions that it was indescribable.

"You already have."

Liberty

I walked alongside Ian and the girls, Ian finally holding hands with me for my safety. His hand was damp with sweat quickly afterwards. He kept silent to keep his nervousness on the down low.

Ian yanked me back when he bumped into someone. He cautiously released me to face the obstacle with both hands. But he didn't get violent quite yet.

"John?" He questioned in disbelief. His hands must have made his way to his face.

"No, I'm the mailman," he spoke sarcastically, making each of us sigh in relief. Opal went up to hug him, to which he pulled away. "Let's not get smitten," he teased, yet sounded so serious. But that's how he always was. John was a prideful man with careless issues. He literally cared about nothing, not even if he died. He was extremely bitter towards life, and didn't want anything to do with enjoyment. I guess that was what Opal was for.

A sudden trapdoor that was black in the white flooring opened up, John surely dropping through it.

"What was that?" Variety squealed, clinging to whoever was closest, which was Ian. He shoved her away, dropping through the floor next.

"We have to get away from here," Opal said, pulling Variety and I into a run. But then she fell through, her scream fading as soon as the door disappeared. There was absolutely nothing we could do.

I fell through quickly afterwards, Variety surely next.