Chapter 1

Today is the day I can call myself a doctor. Starting my residency in a place that I call home and at a school I went to for four years. All of the doctors are former players and some of them were my med school professors and my father knows them all. The chief of surgery is my godfather which I don't mind.

Ever since I was young I wanted to be a Cardiothoracic surgeon. In med school my professor was hardcore and was my favorite. Reminds me of my father competitive, driven, athletic, also has a little of that Duke villain in him.

I set my alarm to remind myself that I needed to get to the hospital early don't want to be late on the first day. I heard that there is a new cardio attending can't wait to see who it is. I heard of course he is a former player who went to Duke. I have a friend who is a cardio surgeon it's been awhile since I last saw him. 

My alarm clock went off and I had time to take a shower and dry my hair. I didn't have to worry about coffee because the hospital had a Starbucks. I walked into the hospital and got on the elevator to get to the intern locker room. Two of the new interns were good friends of mine Nicole and Erin. Nicole wants to do Pediatrics and Erin wants to do Pediatrics as well. 

Me: "Oh my god"

Nicole: "You're here?"

Me: "Yes"

Erin: "It's like med school"

Nicole: "Has anyone seen the new Plastics doctor?"

Me: "If you're talking about Luke Kennard the guy is a playboy"

Erin: "I heard about the new cardio doctor"

Me: "It's Grayson Allen"

Nicole: "No wonder why you chose cardio"

Me: "Shut up"

Erin: "The guy was our professor and she was the class favorite"

Me: "Shouldn't we find out who are resident is"

Nicole: "I have Scheyer"

Erin: "I have the same thing"

Me: "Looks like I wasn't assigned an intern"

The three of us walk out to go find our resident so that we can start the first shift. How was I not given a resident to learn from? The only explanation I have is that they think me being with a resident is pointless.

Scheyer: "They let you in here?"

Me: "Dr. Jon Scheyer I see you're still at his beck and call"

Scheyer: "You're wanted upstairs"

Me: "Okay"

I walk upstairs to go to Dr. K's office. Everybody thinks that he's intimidating he can be but I don't think he is. I knock on the door and he tells me to come in.

Dr K: "Well look at you"

Me: "Hi"

Dr. K: "I take it that you saw that you weren't given a resident"

Me: "Yes"

Dr. K: "I didn't do it because you're my goddaughter. I did it because I think you learning from an attending would be best."

Me: "Where?"

Dr. K: "I was given a special request for cardio and I'm honoring that request"

Me: "Thank you"

Dr. K: "Go to the cardio wing"

I walk down the stairs and head to the cardio wing. This assignment should be interesting or so I hope. I check in and get my pager and wait. I see Dr. Kennard walk out of the cardio office."

Me: "They kept you?"

Dr. Kennard: "Of course they gave you cardio"

Me: "What's your point?"

Dr. Kennard: "I mean it is obvious"

Me: "That would be against hospital rules"

Dr. Kennard: "You two are the favorites always have been"

Me: "Shut up"

Dr. Kennard: "I saw they let Steven in"

Me: "Who's his resident?"

Dr. Kennard: "Capel"

Me: "What specialty does he want to do?"

Dr. Kennard: "Cardio"

Me: "He won't make it out alive not if he has anything to say about it"

Dr. Kennard: "Why?"

Me: "That argument has got some juice. I mean we all know what happened."

Dr. Kennard: "Okay"

Me: "I'm going inside now"

I don't even knock I just walk right in. I've been in here I don't know how many times. I use to come in and ask questions.

Grayson: "You know most people knock"

Me: "I'm not most people"

Grayson: "How are you not even attending?"

Me: "Good question but then you have two cardio interns"

Grayson: "One I asked for and the other I was given"

Me: "Okay"

Grayson: "I have a surgery in an hour you want in"

Me: "I'm not on the board"

Grayson: "You know what to do?"

Me: "I know when to scrub in I got your back"

I walk out and go sit in the gallery. I take a seat next to Nicole. I pull out the notes I have with me. 

Nicole: "Since when for a cardio procedure do you sit up here"

Me: "As of right now"

Erin: "You're not down there?"

Nicole: "I just asked her that"

Erin: "Steven Santa Ana is the intern for this"

Me: "Yes"

Nicole: "Can't wait for him to screw up"

Me: "Which is when I have to finish it"

The surgery starts and so far so good. Everybody else is taking notes I don't even need to. This one I've seen so many times that I could even do this. About half way through and Steven screws up. 

I get up and run as fast as I can to the OR. I walk in and get cleaned and put on my mask, gown, and gloves. Steven of course is getting lectured.

Me: "Everybody just calm and breathe"

Steven: "Oh great you're here to save him"

Me: "Shut up and get off your high horse"

I walk over to the OR table and pick up where he left off. I love the game of surgery it's competitive and hardcore. The rest of the surgery goes smoothly of course.

Me: "This is an advanced procedure why need an intern?"

Grayson: "After all this is a teaching hospital"

Me: "Thank you"

Grayson: "No problem but you weren't taking notes before"

Me: "I had notes"

Grayson: "Those were mine and I taught you this"

Me: "I'm going home and sleeping"

Grayson: "Good idea"

I walk upstairs and change. I put on sweats and a sweatshirt I borrowed and walked out to my car. I made it through the day and did a surgery. I get home and I fall asleep on my bed.

A/N: Okay I know this short and it's a new book but I promise it will get longer. I feel like this is so stupid but funny. Not everybody gets the doctor tag at the beginning or even their last name. Let's see how this one goes I might continue this.