Chapter 5- Mal and Ben's Date Disaster and Mal Leaves

“Would you like a hot hors d'oeuvre?” Mal asked Ben. They were having their picnic date.
    “Yes, please,” Ben said and Mal feed him one. “Mmm! This is the best thing I've ever had.”
    “So, you like it?” Mal asked.
“I more than like it. I, uh… mmm-- so like it. Beef ragout?” Ben asked.
    “Yeah,” Mal said.
    “This is amazing,” Ben said.
    “Did I surprise you?” Mal asked.
    “Oh, yeah, you surprised me. This is every single dish Mrs. Potts made for my parents. What did it take you? Three days?” Ben asked.
    “You know, don't even ask me,” Mal answered.
    “Yeah. Well, it means a lot that you stopped and did all this for me. Especially with all the craziness you've been put through. I've missed you. We don't get much time to be just us anymore,” Ben said. Mal then wiped soup off of his chin. “I know. You can't take me anywhere, right? Uh… Do you have a-- Do you have a napkin or something?” Ben asked.
    “I do! I packed some. Oh, there is-- I think I stowed them away. I can grab them,” Mal said. Ben pulled out Mal’s spell book.
    “What's this?” Ben asked.
    “I actually threw that in there super last-minute in case it rained or--” Mal said.
    Ben started flipping through the marked pages. “‘Speed reading’ spell. ‘Blonde hair’ spell. ‘Cooking’ spell. And I was giving you props for fitting in so well, for doing your best,” Ben said, annoyed.
    “Take back this moment that has passed. Return it-- Reverse it--” Mal tried to cast.
    “Are you trying to spell me right now?!” Ben asked, shooting up from his seat.
    “Ben, it has been so hard for me!” Mal explained.
    “Yes! Some things are hard! Do you think learning to be king has been easy for me?” Ben asked. They were both angry.
    “No!” Mal exclaimed.
    “I thought we were doing this together!” Ben exclaimed.
    “Ben, we are in this together,” Mal said.
    “But we're not, Mal. We're not. Y-You've been keeping secrets and lying to me. I thought we were done with that. This isn't the Isle of the Lost, Mal,” Ben said.
    “Yeah. Believe me, I know that!” Mal exclaimed.
    “Then why are you doing this?” Ben asked.
    “Because… I'm not one of those pretty pink princesses, Ben. I'm not one of those ladies from the Court. I'm a big fake, okay? I'm fake. This is fake. This is fake. Take this feast, this sumptuous meal, return it back to what is real,” Mal cast and the feast turns back into a PB sandwich and a glass of milk. “This is who I really am,” Mal told him and started to walk away.
    “Mal,” Ben started, sadly.
    “No. No,” Mal said and left.
    “Peanut butter and jelly is my favorite!” Ben yelled after her.
Mal went back to her room and started making her way back to the Isle. “I don't belong here,” Mal sobbed and punched holes into a box. “Okay. Okay. Okay,” she said, placing her lizard mom into a box. “Let's blow this popsicle stand. Yeah?” Mal asked.
She got to the edge of Auradon and cast, “Noble steed, proud and fair, you shall take me anywhere,” on her scooter. “Okay. Whew. Please work. Oh! Whoa, what?” Mal asked as she went to the Isle.
“Hey!” a guy exclaimed as Mal zoomed by him.
“Hey, hey, hey!” another exclaimed.
“Watch it!” a third exclaimed.
Back on Auradon:
“Deborah?” Ben asked through the intercom in his office.
    “Yes, Your Majesty?” Deborah asked.
    “Can you ask Lumiere to call me regarding Cotillion?” Ben asked.
    “Yes, sir,” Deborah said.
    “Thank you,” Ben said.
Diavanna’s POV:
    “Ben?” Evie asked as we walked in.
    “Evie! Diavanna! Come on in,” Ben said.
    “Mal's gone back to the Isle,” I told him. Ben was in disbelief.
“Ben…” Evie handed him the ring he gave to Mal.
Ben started freaking out. “This is my fault. This is my fault. I-I blew it. She'd been under so much pressure lately, and instead of being understanding, I just went all Beast on her. I have to go there and apologize. I have to go there and--and beg her to come back.”
    “Ben, you'll never find her,” I said.
    “I--” Ben started.
    “You need to know the Isle and how it works and… You have to take us with you,” Evie said.
    “Yes! Uh, are--are you sure?” Ben asked.
    “Yeah. She's my best friend. And we'll bring the boys and Amelia, too, because there's safety in numbers, and none of us is really too popular over there right now,” Evie explained.
    “Thank you,” Ben said.
“You have to take me too,” Bridgette, Ben’s little sister said.
“What? No!” Ben exclaimed.
“Mal’s like the older sister I never had. You have to take me. And Adam Jr. There’s safety in numbers, like Evie said,” Bridgette argued.
“Fine,” Ben agreed, reluctantly.
“Let's get two things straight. You have to promise me that we won't get stuck there again,” Evie said.
“I promise,” Ben promised.
“And there's no way you're going looking like that,” Evie said. I nodded.