~Three~

Jen's POV:
Mal: I would love to, if I'm not a bother.

Jen: Of course not! It would be nice to have another girl in the house.

Colin: You're going to love where we live.

Jen: Would you like to see the neighborhood?

Mal: I would lo-

Before Mal even finished responding Colin grabbed her hand. He started walking ahead of us. Lana and I looked at one another and chuckled. His mouth was running a mile a minute, explaining who all lives on our street.

Colin's POV:
I am so excited right now. I'm explaining who lives where on our street.

Colin: Lana live across the street. On her left is the Hemmings family, to her right is the Hood family. We live right there, and on our left is Jen's parents.

Mal: Are the neighbors nice?

Colin: Oh very! Every house has a kid or two your age. Maybe some new friends for you.

Mal: I haven't been around kids my age in a while.

I was going to ask why, but Jen and Lana interrupted. Guess we'll ask her later.

Jen: Are you ready to see the house?

Mal: Yes.

Mal's POV:
They unlocked the door, and the house was beautiful. My thoughts were interrupted by someone yelling.

Michael: Mum? Dad? Is that you?

Jen: Yes Michael, we're home. Come down we have a surprise.

Michael: Coming.

A boy my age came down the stairs. While he was, I looked over his appearance. He had a blonde fringe, a Green Day cut-off, and black skinny jeans. I was again snapped out of my thoughts by Colin.

Colin: Mal. This is our son Michael. Michael this is Mal. She's new to town and will be staying with us.

Michael: Oh cool, nice to meet you.

Mal: Nice to meet you too, Michael.

I held my hand out for him to shake, but he looked at me funny.

Michael: I don't shake hands.

I awkwardly put my hand down. I felt a tight force.

Michael: I hug, so get use to it.

I felt the vibrations from his laugh in the hug. It caused me to laugh as well.

Jen: Michael, why don't you give Mal a tour of the house. While we start supper. Your grandparents should be over soon.

Michael: Sure thing mum. Let's go Mal.

I followed Michael up the stairs, he pointed to the bathroom. Showed me Jen and Colin's room, he showed me his bedroom. Then he lead me over to a door across the hall. He opened it, and I saw a staircase.

Michael: I was going to move up here, but I think you'll like having your own space.

We walked up the staircase to a little landing with a seating area. There was another door, he opened it, there was a guest bedroom in the attic.

 There was another door, he opened it, there was a guest bedroom in the attic

Michael: Here's your room, it's kind of plain. Maybe later we can ask my parents for some money, then you and I can go to the store and buy the materials to decorate.

Mal: I'd like that.

Michael: Cool, let's put your stuff down and get to know each other.

Mal: Okay, let me just change real quick.

Michael: Oh right, I'll be outside.

Michael's POV:
I like Mal she seems nice, but something seems off with her. Why were her clothes all ripped up? I don't want to pressure her into anything. I want us to be close, she'd be the sibling I never had.

My thoughts were interrupted by a crash sound in Mal's room. I quickly knock, but she doesn't answer, I said her name, still no answer. I take matters into my own hands and open her door. I see her in front of the mirror on the wall with tears in her eyes. I scan her body and I saw bruises. What really broke my heart is that they were fresh.

Mal: Michael! Uh it's not what it looks like. I ran into the door a few times at my old house.

Michael: Mal.

My voice is soft yet horse.

Mal POV:
He had tears in his eyes. He walked over and hugged me. I heard him sniffle and he looked down at me and said...

Michael: How long?

Mal: How long what?

Michael: Mal, did your parents hurt you?

I could feel the tears rolling down my face, as well as Michael's thumb wiping them away. He already saw the bruises, I have to tell him.

Mal: You can't tell anyone.

Michael: Mal, I have to tell them. They can help you.

Mal: No, they'll think I'm a freak. And kick me out before I have anywhere else to go.

Our conversation was cut short by yelling.

Jen: Kids Dinner!

Michael: Coming mum.

He looked at me with tear filled eyes again. I could see him thinking.

Michael: Okay, but I promise that whoever did that to you will never lay another filthy hand on you. Not while I'm around, you have my word.

He reached his hand out for a handshake but I pulled him in for a hug. He stiffened because I caught him off guard but he loosened into the hug.

Michael: Are you hungry?

Mal: A little, yeah. *loud stomach gurgle*

I blushed with embarrassment.

Michael: Your family didn't feed you?

His voice had soured, and his face hardened. I couldn't look him the eyes. He put his finger under my chin, I looked into is eyes, and his expression softened.

Michael: When was your last meal?

Mal *mumbles* Last Tuesday.

Michael: When?

Mal: *Sigh* Last Tuesday.

Michael: What!?!? I have to tell my parents and Lana.

Mal: No. you can't.

I grabbed his arm, weirdly his cheeks turned pink. I just blew it off.

Mal: Please?

Michael: Okay, let's get you some food. I'm making your plate.

Mal: *laughs* Okay, deal.

I gave him a hug, which he quickly accepted. Then we walked downstairs.

Michael's POV:
I can't believe there are people in this world who would do such a horrible thing to a sweet, caring, beautiful girl. I think I like Mal... but I can't, if she stays she'd be like my sister. I think it's cause I want to protect her... I hope.
—————-
Stay Awesome Penguins 🐧 ~K