Chapter Seventeen

"Mom, I can't come home," I vocalized through the phone to my mother.

"What, Why?" She asked demanding an answer I was unable to give her.

I held the phone tightly to my ear, shutting my eyes tightly but still seeing the light shine quickly across my eye lids as we passed them. The car was silent as they waited for me to reply, but it was so hard to lie. This was my mother- the one who raised me, always stood by my side through everything, the one who never gave up after my father died. I couldn't do it, I couldn't destroy her like this, and I couldn't leave her. But I had to.

"It would just be easier to just forget I exist. I love you mom, goodbye." I whispered then hung up before she could reply.

I held the top of the phone against my chin pondering on how her reaction would be. Pain filled my chest but I tried to ignore it looking out the window at the dark sky. Out in the land of emptiness, the stars are able to shine bright and beautifully.

"You alright?" Harry asked looking over his shoulder at me as he sat in the front seat of the dark car.

I knew he knew the answer to that so I just looked at him with a blank, angry stair. Pressing his lips together he tried to look at me with pity. Leaning towards me, he grabbed for my hand but I repelled crossing my arms over my chest looking away.

"Emma," Harry pleaded; "don't push me out, talk to me."

"You lied, Harry. You lied to me and on top of that you killed someone!" I started to raise my voice at him, now I could finally say what I have kept in; "I understand Lucy owed him money so he ran after you, but I didn't ask for this okay. I could of ran but I didn't because I love you Harry!" I paused for a second fully processing what was slipping out of my mouth but nothing stopped me.

"Harry, he sent someone to rape me. I was lying on the ground completely naked as this stranger beat me nearly unconscious. I have lied to my mother and have missed so much school I definitely will not graduate on time. You have been destroying my life Harry, but I'm still here. You say 'don't push me out' but no one has told me anything since we left that restaurant!" I said then dashed a look at Zayn, I forgot he was here but decided to ignore him anyway. I knew he was listening.

My hands were shaking and my mind went blank. Harry never looked away from me, only kept his deep green eyes on mine. I watched his lips as they trembled for words. Soon he sighed and I knew he didn't know what to say, he had no words for what just poured out of my mouth. Although it wasn't a lot, it was still something and he had nothing. Not even an 'I'm sorry Emma' to at least show he cares about how I feel. After a few moments of silence I scoffed breaking our eye contact staring back out the car window. I tried to focus on road signs figuring out where we were so I could look busy with my eyes.

The radio then blasted making me jump in shock. I looked up at the front watching Harrys hand on the volume pressing it up higher until it maxed out. The speakers blasted feel like I was in a massage chair with the vibrations so intense on my back. Trying to show no interest I looked back out the window and focused on the music. It was my favorite radio station, and coincidentally my favorite song- Fancy by Iggy Azalea. I forced myself not to sing along, but I knew Harry knew I wanted to sing to it. Trying to not give him benefit I shut my eyes trying to look uninterested.

There was then movement, but I couldn't tell if it was the road or something inside the car. The music blasted so loud I couldn't hear anything else. The seat next to me lowered a bit so I took a fast look over then gasped. Harry was inches from my face sitting now in the back seat next to me. Shocked I froze right there; through everything we have gone through he still makes me nervous. Harry placed his hand on my upper thigh and leaned in closer. I watched his lips come near me, his hot, sweet breath on my lips. He leaned closer and I prepared myself for a kiss he didn't give. Leaning down farther his hair brushed against my ear as he kissed my neck, his lips unexpectedly cold on my skin. Coming back up from my neck he whispered loud enough in my ear that I could hear; "I love you, Emma Cook."