That Is Final

Jessica hadn't seen Phillip since telling him about the baby. Phillip got dressed after checking on Karen then he stormed out of the house to the barn to get away and think.

Jessica didn't really have time to dwell; she took a quick shower then got dressed for the day.

After getting ready, Jessica walked downstairs to the kitchen and began to get the turkey in the oven. Once the turkey was in the oven, Jessica began all the sides that would be served with dinner. She was tired but she pushed through. She was so glad that Shannon would be bringing the desserts such as pumpkin pie, chocolate cake and cupcakes.

It was now three in the afternoon when the doorbell rang.

Jessica opened the door and smiled wide. "Hi baby!" She said as she let John in. "I'm so glad you made it."
"Hey, Mom." John said as he walked through the door then he hugged his mother tightly. "I've missed you!"
"I've missed you too." Jessica said as she led John to the kitchen.
"Mmmm...smells great in here." John said as he sat down at the kitchen table. "Uh...is Dad here?"
"He's not in the in the house." Jessica answered. "I think he may be at the barn."

John could tell that something had happened between his parents by Jessica's tone. John had always been the most sensitive and most intuitive than his siblings.

"Great." He said not dwelling on it too long. "This is actually perfect that he's not here. Mom...I need to tell something."
Jessica could tell that whatever John was about to tell her was really important. She sat down next to him and said. "What is it? Are you okay?"
"Yeah, I'm great. It's just...what I'm about to tell you has been weighing on me for so many years now." John said as he looked into his mother's eyes. "Mom...I'm gay and I met someone. His name is Mathew. We've been living together for a while now. I'm sorry I said that kind of fast but...I just needed to tell you. I couldn't hold it in any longer."

Jessica stared in surprise but then she relaxed. She took John's hands in hers and asked. "Are you happy?"
"What?" John said surprised. "You're not mad? Or...I don't know..."
Jessica shook her head and said. "I am not mad or upset. John...I've always known. Ever since you were a young child, I could just tell you were different than your siblings and most kids around this town for that matter. I just...I had feeling. I've been keeping quiet because I knew you weren't ready for me to know. I just want you to know, that I will always support you and I will always love you. I just want you to be happy, John. So...are you happy?"
John had tears in his eyes and smiled at Jessica. He nodded then said. "I'm very happy Mom. Mathew is the love of my life and I want to spend the rest of my life with him."

Jessica smiled wide and stood up to hug him. John stood up as well and they embraced for a moment before letting go.

"I can't wait to meet Mathew." Jessica said. "I need to meet the man that is making my baby boy so happy."

Their smiles faltered as their thoughts drifted to Phillip. As long as Phillip was around, they knew that Jessica meeting Mathew wasn't going to happen any time soon. They all knew what his feelings were concerning the LGBT community.

"Don't tell Dad okay." John said sadly. "I was going to tell him today, but, now, I don't think that's such a good idea."
"I won't say a word." Jessica said as she patted his cheek. "You and I will figure out a way so I can meet Mathew. Maybe I can visit you in California one day. I can also visit my mom and Dad. I miss them."
"I would love that. I love you mom." John said as he hugged her once again.
"I love you too." Jessica said.

Some time later, John was helping Jessica in the kitchen when Karen yelled from upstairs.

"I take it, grandma wants to come down?" John said with a chuckle.
"Yes." Jessica sighed. "Well, I better help her get dressed and help her down. I'll be back in a few minutes."
"Alright." John said as he made the mash potatoes.