Who Is He?

The next morning, Jessica woke up early so she could speak to Phillip. He was still asleep, so she laid awake waiting for him to wake up.

She was able to enjoy the sunrise through her window and she somehow felt calm about her decision. She then decided to use the restroom and brush her teeth. She wanted to be ready for the day.

Two hours later, Phillip began to wake up. He stretched and groaned as he sat up. He looked at the clock and realized he was late for work.

Jessica had her back to him so, he thought she was asleep. Jessica laid still, not wanting to let him know she was awake just yet.

Jessica closed her eyes when Phillip stood up from the bed. She knew he was going to take a shower. So she had time to mentally prepare for what was to come.

Phillip grabbed clean clothes then walked to the bathroom. He decided to take his time. He was already late anyway.

As he took a shower, Jessica sat up and fixed her pillows and got ready to confront her husband.

After some time, Phillip came out of the bathroom and was dressed. He was about to go over to the dresser to comb his hair when he noticed Jessica was up.

"Jessica, what are you doing up?" Phillip asked.
"I wanted to catch you before you left for the day." Jessica replied calmly. "I knew if I didn't catch you now, then I would miss my chance. I need to speak to you."
Phillip attention was all on Jessica; he raised an eyebrow then asked. "Alright, what is it that you need to speak to me about?"
"Our marriage." Jessica said simply.
"Okay?" Was all Phillip could say.
Jessica took a deep breath, looked Phillip straight into his eyes and said. "I want a divorce."

Phillip was shocked by what Jessica had said. His eyes were wide; he didn't think he would ever hear Jessica say she wanted a divorce. He knew he didn't love Jessica and had been more then willing to let her go. But his ego had prevented it. Now he was faced by it and it took him by surprise.

Phillip collected himself and said. "Is that so? Well, fine. You want a divorce. I'll give it to you. But don't expect me to give you any money for you and that thing you have inside you!"

Jessica hated when Phillip would call her baby a "thing". She usually got sensitive and would cry but she reminded herself that she needed to remain strong and not shed a tear for him.

"That's fine. I don't want anything from you." Jessica said strongly. "I'll just take my things that I own and I'll be on my way."
Phillip couldn't help but laugh. "Really? You don't want any money? How would you survive without money? How would you survive without me? Where would you go!? Who in their right mind would take in a pregnant fifty one year old who can't do nothing but lay on her ass all day!?"

Jessica anger rose to the surface; she was tired of Phillip's behavior. She sat up straighter and held her head up high.

"You know what Phillip, I'm done. I won't have to listen to your insults anymore after today!" Jessica said, her voice rising. "Sarah will be here later today to help me pack and I will be staying with her for a while. After that, I'm not your concern anymore! I thought you would be happy that I was moving out. Now you can move Mary in and you both could live happily ever after!!!"

Phillip eyes were wide again; how could Jessica know about Mary?

"Why...why are you bringing Mary into this?" Phillip asked nervously.
Jessica laughed humorlessly then said. "Why wouldn't I bring your mistress into this? Oh Phillip...I know all about Mary, your high school sweetheart. I've known for the past two years. You've been having an affair with her for the past ten years! You know...I've been keeping quiet about it because I did love you Phillip, with all my heart. When I found out, I managed to forgive you. In my mind, I rationalized it by thinking it was okay, because at least your were coming home to me." Jessica shook her head and continued. "But now...not anymore. I know you still have been seeing Mary behind my back and that that's where you've been while I'm here all alone all night waiting up for you. Don't look so surprised Phillip. This whole damn town knows you've been seeing Mary! Evan saw you with Mary the other night. A few others too! It's like you wanted to get caught! Then of course the gossip spreads like wildfire around here. You both thought no one saw you kissing each other at the bar but you were mistaken. I knew that you were seeing her and after Sarah told me what Evan saw, for some strange reason, I still kept my mouth shut. I still had a small bit of hope we could work out our marriage, but..."