t h r e e

"How's life?"

"Life sucks, Malfoy."

He was silent. For a long while. I wondered if he'd already lost interest and drifted off. "It does, doesn't it? It really fucking sucks."

I gave him a look and nodded slowly.

"I mean, it must be horrible for you. You lost everyone."

I could've taken it offensively and shot back a rude reply because what he said was somewhat insensitive but I thought it better to stay civil. Plus, he might not be aware that what he said wasn't very pleasant. Seeing as he was quiet inconsiderate back in his younger days.

"Yes, I lost everyone."

"Must be lonely."

"Yeah, no shit it's lonely, Malfoy." I snapped. I said I wouldn't, to keep it friendly, but I don't know what happened. Maybe he took it too unsympathetically far.

"...I'm sorry." He said after some time. My head shot up, I was surprised. "That was...not very nice. I probably seem like an asshole."

"It's fine." I shrugged. I've thought of him as an asshole my entire life so I wasn't expecting him to lose that trait very easily. "Actually, I haven't talked about it to anyone and it feels good to...verbally acknowledge it."

Every time I closed my eyes I could see it all playing before me. I had just killed Voldemort, his corpse on the stone before me. I turned around to get back into the castle and out of nowhere the walls of the Great Hall were collapsing, glass shards were flying everywhere, and fire lit up inside. I look and see death eaters swarming around. After mere seconds, it was gone. There were no remains of the Great Hall or anyone that was in there; basically everyone.

"Yeah..." he said while toying with his fingers. "You can talk more about it. If you want. I've got all the time in the world."