Chapter 1

It was graduation day. My best friend Liam and I sat in the audience awaiting our names to be called so we could receive our plaques. For the past three years we were both studying at Oxford, he studied business while I studied architecture and design.

He looked at me and we smiled.

"Alexandra Cleare," the headmistress said.

The audience erupted into cheers as I began making my way to the podium

I mean I am their Prom Queen, Student Body President and Head Prefect.

"As Head Prefect and Student Body President you are entitled to a few words," the headmistress said gesturing to the microphone.

"Hey guys. We did it. We finally finished college. Go out into the world and make a difference. Go out into the world and achieve what you wish to achieve because no one can get you to where you want. Only you can do that. You are who you want to be not what someone tells you. Go out into the world and shine," I said.

They all applauded and I smiled and went back to my seat. Liam gave me a hug before he heard his name.

"And now for our valedictorian Liam Rostov."

The crowd cheered and headmistress pointed to the microphone

"Like Alexandra said, we did it. All those endless nights staying up past midnight to get assignments done are over. Our lives are just beginning. Go into the world and be the one who you want to be. Although we are leaving Oxford behind we will take our memories and the friendships we made over the past three years. Those are the things that will live on forever. Thank you," he said.

He collected his plaque then came down the steps and back to his seat.

Headmistress closed off the graduation then we went for pictures after which we spent our final moments with our friends.

"Kids come on we have a reservation at six," Liam's mom said.

"We are not kids," Liam groaned.

"Until you are no longer living with me you are a kid. That goes for you too Alexandra," she smirked.

We followed her to my parents Land Cruiser and made our way to Golden Coast Restaurant. It's five star and the richest people dine there.

My name is Alexandra Cleare and I'm the daughter of billionaire Jordan Cleare and designer Victoria Cleare. I fancy going to parties and I love to draw and design hence my study of architecture and design. Liam and I have been friends since he moved next door to me twelve years ago. I know he has feelings for me but ..... I really don't know.

One, I'm not ready to be tied down in a relationship and two, what can he give me? Not to be rude or anything but my bill for clothes is US$2500 and I highly believe that he will not be making that much money in the future. I need a CEO or a billionaire or a doctor or an actor, someone high up the social ladder to take care of me and he just won't cut it.

We arrived at the restaurant and the waitress led us to our seats. After dinner was finished Liam asked me to accompany him outside for a moment.

"The night is beautiful. All those twinkling stars make the sky look so magical," I said looking up at the sky in wonder.

"Quite like you," he replied leading me to the pond at the back. In the pond there were two swans that swam around graciously, numerous lilies, and wild flowers lined the circumference of the pond.

"What's going on?" I asked him raising my left eyebrow.

He smiled and stepped closer to me, held both my hands and began talking,

"Alexandra we have been best friends for about twelve years and I feel as though I've known you all my life. You make me smile when I'm sad and you know exactly what to say to get me to laugh. And not one of those laughs that people force out but a deep, belly hurting laugh. You are the first thing I think of when I awake in the morning and the last thing I think of when I go to bed at night."

"Where is this going Liam," I asked bewildered.

He got down on one knee and I began shaking my head.

"Oh Liam. Please don't do this," I said.

He smiled and continued,

"I know that we are only nineteen but I want to wake up every morning to your sweet face. I want to grow old with you Alexandra. So, will you do me the honour of becoming my wife?"

He pulled a black square box from his tux and opened it. Inside was a beautiful diamond ring. The band was silver and had seven stones; six diamonds and the center one was a blood red heart, my favourite colour.

 The band was silver and had seven stones; six diamonds and the center one was a blood red heart, my favourite colour

"Liam, I'm sorry," I began and his smile dropped.

"If I do marry you how can you take care of me. I mean my clothing bill is $2500 and you can not afford that. You should marry someone from your own league Liam," I said.

"What are you saying Alexandra?"

"No I won't marry you," I said and walked off leaving him on his knees and for some odd reason my heart pained me.

"Congratulations," our parents yelled when I walked to the front of the restaurant.

"Let me see the ring," mom screeched.

"I did not say yes! There is no ring! We are not getting married! Not know and not ever!" I said to them.

"What!" All three of them shrieked.

At that time Liam came back. I stole a glance at him to see him already looking at me but I turned and walked away. By walk away I meant out of his life. Forever.

He'll recover someday. I'm sure there are others girls in his league that would love him like he needs to be loved. But that girl is definitely not me.

***************************************************************