Chapter 11: Xin Tao's New Life Begins

Wu got worried - he couldn't believe such a nice young man could be a spy, there was just no way!

"Brother, let me explain_"

"I want to hear the explanation from this boy himself."

Tamie gulped in fear. She dropped to her knees and bowed down to the 4th prince:

"I am sorry to have led you to such a misunderstanding, Your Highness! I apologize in advance, but I must correct a little detail for you - the style I've used in my performance belonged not to the Sorovs, but to the courageous warriors living in the south of the Middle Mountains - the Qartlandians, whose country lies far south from Sorovin. Since ancient times, the Sorovs have been exploiting the Qartlandians and have learned a lot of great skills from them. My horse-riding skills originate not from the Sorovs, who stole these skills, but from the source itself - I am partly Qartlandian, and I speak their language too. I shall do anything to prove my innocence, and that I am no spy but rather a double enemy to the Sorovs, due to my Qartlandian and Wanglongian heritage."

The princes watched them with astonishment. They grew compassionate towards the young boy, who had wandered alone, as an orphan, like a castaway due to being mixed-race, for the Wanglongians didn't really appreciate mixed-race people. Yet, he possessed such amazing skills... It was truly a pity. Prince Wang Shao, upon hearing such a confession, raised both of his eyebrows in sincere surprise:

"You say you're mixed-race?"

Tao gulped:

I hope I didn't make it all worse.

"Y... Yes."

Silence fell for some minutes. The princes curiously contemplated both Shao and Tao and wondered what would happen next.

"Can you wield a sword?"

"Yes, Your Highness."

I hope he doesn't call me to a duel.

Shao turned to his younger brother:

"Wu, can you hand this boy at my disposal?"

"Huh? Why all of a sudden?"

"One cannot find such skilled warriors in every epoch. I need to have such boys in my army when I depart in seven days."

Did he... truly come to appreciate my talent that much? Tamie blinked at the 4th prince.

"Well, father ordered me that he should either serve the palace or one of the princes. If you agree to take him in your army, I'd surely hand him to you." Wu gave his elder brother a courteous smile.

"That means a 'yes'," Shao concluded, "Your name, boy?"

"Xin Tao, Your Highness."

"Well then, stand up, Xin Tao. You are officially under my command now."

Tao instantly sprang up. His heart was beating with excitement and joy:

I can't believe this is all true... Good God, I'm truly the 4th prince's servant now! Oh, my, this is the best day of my life! I could never imagine being a boy was so awesome!

The princes clapped at Tao:

"Great job!"

"You managed to enroll in the army. Such an honour!"

"Now that I call a man!"

Tao bowed to them with gratitude and followed the 4th prince to the palace. However, two princes - Di and San - weren't in a positive mood like the others.

"That wimp is going to pay someday..." Di snarled.

"Shao has never liked any of the servant men before. How come he decided to enroll him in the army right away? I bet he only did it because he heard this peasant is mixed-race!" San frowned.

"Ugh, I hate both of them now, as if one was not enough!"

Shao led Tao into the palace and then to his room. He closed the door and shot a stern gaze at the boy, assured that no one was watching them anymore.

"I want to make some details clear before you begin your service," he said. "I've accepted you in my household not only because I liked your horse-riding skills, but also because I can watch you closely. If you ever make a single wrong step and lead me to believe you're up to something, I shall not hesitate to execute you."

Tao shuddered and bowed down:

"I will not disappoint you, Your Highness!"

"Also, you made a mistake when you confessed you're mixed-race."

Tao looked up at the prince with astonishment, whose tone had turned sorrowful.

"W... Why are you saying that?"

"This twisted empire of Wanglong... If you are born mixed-race, you are discarded from the high society, considered a dirty-blooded wretch. Once you confessed about your origins, you were doomed to be banished from the palace."

Damn, I think I really made it all worse...

"So, if you say every Wanglongian considers mixed people dirty-blooded, why did you take me in?"

"Because we're the same."

"Y... You're saying you're mixed-race too?!" 

"Yes, but there's a difference between us - I belong to the royal family and you do not. I cannot be thrown away, but you can easily be executed. However, I'd never want a mixed-race person to die, for I know exactly how it feels to be one."

"Thank you, Your Highness."

Shao took out his sword and put its tip to Tao's neck:

"Remember - if you ever speak of this to anyone, that shall be your last day!" 

His eye flashed wolfishly. Tao gulped in dread:

"Y... Yes, Your Highness!"

Shao got satisfied with this answer and withdrew the sword, putting it back in its black scabbard.

"From now on, you'll be my personal servant. I'd appreciate having a fellow mixed-blood by my side. I have strict rules, however - once I call you, you must immediately be there. If not, you'll be punished by my hand. I hate it when people are late."

Tao shivered when hearing "you'll be punished", but then smiled with self-confidence and bowed:

"I am a perfectionist too, Your Highness, so I won't disappoint you!"

"Glad to hear that. That's all I needed to tell you for now. I shall order maidservants to make a room for you near my one so that you'd be easily accessible for me. You're dismissed."

"Yes, Your Highness."

Tao bowed once more and quickly left the room. Her heart was filled with different emotions now as she walked through the corridors and thought about the events that happened on that day.

He is so calm and stern, and charming... But I had no idea he was mixed-race. That is rather interesting. So, that is why he was so different from others... The main thing is that I am his personal servant now. It is a dream come true! Ugh, I can't wait for more awesome days like this to come!

She noticed how her two friends - Liz and Tiegan - walked towards Shao's room, apparently to fulfill his latest command and make a new room for her as Shao's new personal servant. Sadness and pity embraced her:

Poor Tiggie and Liz, they are probably so heartbroken now when they think I'm dead... I must try and let them know I'm here but in a different shape. No matter how close I get to my sweetheart and how good of a boy I become, I must never forget I am a girl, and I have my friends whom I love and cherish.